Gibson Brands Forums

Wired guitar wrong, need help.

dem00n

Funny, for all my technical expertise I know nothing about wiring and solder and connections and such. The only time I tried was to fix the clock in my Subaru, I soldered a joint and didn't understand why it wouldn't work, because there were two joints needing soldering and I just didn't understand.

I have respect for anyone who knows about, or is able to learn about this stuff.

That first switch is only a 3 way? Are you sure? never seen so many connectors on a 3 way switch like that... What you really need to invest in is a cheap volt meter that has a "continuity tester" on it. It's purpose is just to tell you where you are getting connections by emitting a beep sound. If you connect one lead of the tester to one part and you connect the other lead to another part and it beeps then you know you have a connection there. This could be good if the connection is wanted but it could also tell you where you are getting a connection you don't want.

Anyway they are especially handy for multi switches as they will tell you what connections are "Tied together" in what position. Every switch should like this should have a pin (or 2 ) that is always engaged no matter what position the switch is in. This is the Hot lead(s) pin from the switch that would go to the 1st lug on the Volume pot(s) ( not the lug that is bent back and soldered to the volume control case) You can think of this as the "Input" of the volume control. The middle lug on the volume control is pretty much the "output" and usually has the main lead of the output Jack soldered to it.

So back to the switch... By finding out which lug(s) is always Hot meaning that in any position it is still connected you know what your switch output is. When you change position this hot lead should connect to 1 or more pins of the switch. This tells you where your switch inputs are and in what position. Your switch inputs will be where you hookup the hot leads of your pick up and determine when They are active and in what switch position.....

You should never have a bare unshielded wire going to a lead on a volume control unless it is the one that is grounded to the pot. Looking at your current picture it looks like you have the tone control lead and it's ground soldered to the middle lug of the volume control. The tone control lead should be soldered to the 1st lug on the volume control ( the input) and the bare wire should be soldered to the top of the volume pot. Remember sending something to ground kills the signal..... That's why the one leg of the volume pot is soldered to the case and grounded. So when you turn the volume control down you are gradually sending more signal to ground and killing the volume...

Haha! Success!

Thanks Andy, i owe you a lot man. If your ever in new york ill buy you a pizza pie, promise. Ill have it delivered to where ever your staying!

Haha! Success!

Thanks Andy, i owe you a lot man. If your ever in new york ill buy you a pizza pie, promise. Ill have it delivered to where ever your staying!

Right on man! Glad I could help. I do get up to New York occasionally if I go to Streaming Media East conference...

yes. sweet. gratz, that was quite the mystery you solved there, not an easy thing for anyone.

so now, tell us how those pups sound?

They sound really damn good, i was surprised how well they sound. The guitar is agathis so i wanted to get something really bright since the tone is very dark. Id recommend them to anyone look for p-90's in humbucker size.

Archived