Gibson Brands Forums

'61 Reissue on the way (pics)

fedwayjohn

You should be happy with the deepness of the bevels, my STD SG is shallow as.

Yeah, I've been playing the heck out of this guitar for a week now, and it ain't going anywhere. It's really fantastic to play and it looks beautiful to boot. Whatever minor finish flaws there are is a non-issue at this point. I'm glad I spent the extra dough on the '61 Reissue. [drool][biggrin]

Lovely guitar. I hate to be a downer on this but if you feel there are any issues with the finish I would take them up with whoever you bought it from. It sounds like you got it from an Online dealer. They ususally have a 40 day return policy. If it is deemed a finish issue that might get worse down the road, you won't get coverage from Gibson!

This is why:

10.Cracking, discoloration or damage of any sort to the finish or plating for any reason.

That is number ten on Gibsons Warranty. It is one of the exclusion to the warranty.

I bought a guitar from a local dealer and within a year I had finish cracking around every screw hole, or pot.

It was on a 2006 LP Goldtop Classic. The dealer and Gibson gave me #10 as the reason. My dealer was really good, and said that Gibson has a free pass on their finish. I was later told that I was "Lucky" to have my Goldie already cracking, because some guys wait years for that.

I was totally shocked that Gibson flat out told me they don't warranty finish issues!

Lovely guitar. I hate to be a downer on this but if you feel there are any issues with the finish I would take them up with whoever you bought it from. It sounds like you got it from an Online dealer. They ususally have a 40 day return policy. If it is deemed a finish issue that might get worse down the road, you won't get coverage from Gibson!

This is why:

10.Cracking, discoloration or damage of any sort to the finish or plating for any reason.

That is number ten on Gibsons Warranty. It is one of the exclusion to the warranty.

I bought a guitar from a local dealer and within a year I had finish cracking around every screw hole, or pot.

It was on a 2006 LP Goldtop Classic. The dealer and Gibson gave me #10 as the reason. My dealer was really good, and said that Gibson has a free pass on their finish. I was later told that I was "Lucky" to have my Goldie already cracking, because some guys wait years for that.

I was totally shocked that Gibson flat out told me they don't warranty finish issues!

Hey Stewie, the "issue" isn't with the finish itself (meaning, no cracks or checks); that is near flawless. It's just the evenness of the wood beneath the finish, on the bevels between the horns. It's really very minor, and I've come to grips with it. The guitar is so good in every other respect that I've just decided to chalk it up to the guitar's character. Truth be told, you really have to look for it, but you know how we get when we get a new axe. We scour every inch of it! [biggrin]

Hey Stewie, the "issue" isn't with the finish itself (meaning, no cracks or checks); that is near flawless. It's just the evenness of the wood beneath the finish, on the bevels between the horns. It's really very minor, and I've come to grips with it. The guitar is so good in every other respect that I've just decided to chalk it up to the guitar's character. Truth be told, you really have to look for it, but you know how we get when we get a new axe. We scour every inch of it! [biggrin]

I understand. I just wanted to get it out there that not a lot of people realize how terrible Gibson is on their warranty issues with finish. If you get a chance read the whole thing. You will see they say right out front that they don't warranty finish issues of any kind. And they stick to that.

I have 3 SG type guitars. An Epi G400 and a 2004 standard, and a 1968 original SG special. The 2004 is very uniform when it comes to the horns. The 68 however looks like they had not real control over the bevels. They are all different. In fact the back of the lower horn has no bevel at all. I know it is a Gibson because I have owned it for 43 years. I think they were all hand made and there was probably quite a variation in each guitar. It still plays and sounds amazing though and I really love that guitar. The G400 is almost too perfect but it plays like a dream as well. The Standard is my number one now out of 18 Electrics.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update this thread, the flaws I mentioned at the start of the thread finally got to me (the uneven sanding of the bevels being the main one). I found a second flaw that put me over the edge. On the front of the guitar, on the lower bout, I could see the word "dip" written on the wood beneath the finish. It was faint, but visible. I'm guessing it was there to tell whomever that some additional sanding was needed.

That was more than I could take on a $2,000 guitar, so I exchanged it for another one.

The new one is much better, and for the most part is flawless. Obviously, I'm happy about that. The bezels are beautifully sanded and finished (like they should be, IMO), as is the rest of the axe. There is one issue, but it's fixable. The high E string runs too close to the edge of the fingerboard, closer than the low E does on the other side, making it prone to slipping off. It's a nut issue, but I may just have a bone nut installed and call it good. I don't want to play the exchange game any more than I have to.

Other than that, I'm happy.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely '61! The very minor "flaw" you mentioned, only gives it "character!"

IF...it's just a slight bubbling in the finish, you might be able

to very lightly sand it smooth, using really fine wet/dry sandpaper, and

then repolish it. But, frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. Absolute

"Perfection," is a myth. The vintage SG's all had their own "character,"

issues, too. They're only masked, now, by age, wear, and "mojo!" ;>)

CB

Archived