Gibson Brands Forums

Need Orville Advice

mbrooks0711

Hey all

It's been a while since I've posted, but I have a question. I realize this might not be the correct branch of the Gibson forum to ask about Orville guitars, but I know you all better and like you better too. Today at a pawn shop, I ran across an Orville 335 in cherry red. Didn't get a serial number or anything, but it's in very good condition (nothing but light surface scratches/swirling). It was priced at $700. So I thought I'd look it up on Ebay and I found this spitting image of it that sold for $1360 My link. Is this the normal price range for these or is this one special in this regard? I mean if you guys say that I could make a quick $500-$600 off of this thing, I'll go buy it tomorrow. I just wanted to see if there was anything special/significant about this make/model of Orvilles. I haven't got to play it yet, but if it's worth the money, I'll be checking it out more seriously. Thanks all

Here's what the current Blue Book says about Orville (no individual values listed):

Guitars previously produced in Japan between the mid-1980s and early 1990s. Distributed in the Japanese market only. Orville and Orville by Gibson guitars are actually Japanese-built guitars that Gibson licensed. Gibson signed a deal with Fuji Gen Gakki to build Gibson-approved copies in their Japanese factory and distribute them in the Japanese market. All guitars are exact copies of authentic Gibson instruments including Les Pauls, SGs, Flying Vs, Explorers, ES-335s, ES-175s, electric basses, as well as a line of acoustic guitars. Since these guitars were designed for Japanese distribution only, very few were imported into the U.S. market although more examples are showing up. Prices generally run between $800 and $1,200 on used instruments in excellent condition. Look for more information in further editions of the Blue Book of Electric Guitars.

I guess my 2 cents worth is...

Do you like the guitar for playing $700 worth and that it seems to play itself when you put your hands on it? Is it in good physical condition? If so on both, it's a bargain if it meets your checkbook needs. If not, I wouldn't bother.

m

Real "Orville" guitars are terrific instruments. Built the old fashioned way,

with long neck tenons, and lots of attention, to traditional details. Most,

are at, or near Gibson Custom Shop quality. So, if the one you're looking at

is, in fact, a "real" Orville, and in excellent condtion...I'd buy it, NOW!

Those guitars are going up, in re-sale value, all the time.

CB

If it were in a pawn shop near here, I'd already have it home and a couple of other guitars posted on Craigslist to offset the difference...

I agree with milod, buy it because you want it.

Tying to make a profit on used guitars is a fool's errand...

I used to have an Orville ES335 and it was a great guitar.

Watch out though. My understanding is that, as with Epis, there are fake Orvilles out there (although a quick google leads me to believe it's the Les Pauls that seem more common targets for the scammers).

It seems very cheap for what it is and I'd not be risking it if I wasn't 100% sure it was genuine.

Thanks for the advice everyone. The reason I didn't play it the other day was because I was on my lunch break from work and also because I didn't want to judge it played through crap amps (no guitar sounds like it should through a 10 watt marshall solid state amp). I think I might pack an amp in my car and see go by on Monday.

First question. Is there a difference between an "Orville" and a "Orville by Gibson". This guitar had a sticker on the inside that said "Orville by Gibson". Please advise on this.

I'd probably have to sell a sheraton to get it (not my first choice of things to do) or use their 10 month lay away. Honestly guys I've read the info on counterfeits,fakes,etc and if I hadn't seen "Orville" on the headstock, I would've sworn it was a Gibson all day long. Fit and finish were great (better than the last round of Gibsons I played) and it only had light surface scratches (if I'm saying this wrong I'm sorry-just the lines you get from pick marks and from the guitar resting against you as you play, nothing into the color coats/etc. I'll definitely go check it out soon.

Need Orville Advice

You have gotten much good advice.

My 2 cents:

Never buy guitars with the idea of making money at it unless you plan on doing it for a living or "trade up hobby".

Yea, you might get lucky once in a while....more power to you.

Guitars are for playing...if you want to make money off them, open a store!

Willy

Willy,

I hear you and I do make a lot of trade-ups and swaps for better stuff all the time. I have had success in buying non-working guitars and repairing them to resell them. I also do in fact, own an online musical instrument store (but this is not the place to advertise). I think everyone misunderstood my first post on this topic. The goal was never necessarily to buy it with the purpose of reselling it. I was inquiring about the resell value for the purpose of knowing that if I bought it and ended up not liking it (once the shine/ngd "high" wore off) that I would be able to resell it easily and not take a several hundred dollar hit on it. Either way, I think it's going to have a showdown with my newest Sheraton on Monday.

First question. Is there a difference between an "Orville" and a "Orville by Gibson". This guitar had a sticker on the inside that said "Orville by Gibson". Please advise on this.

The models with "Orville by Gibson" on the headstock had USA-made pickups ('57 Classics I think) whereas the ones badged "Orville" had Japanese pickups.

I don't think there were too many other differences (electronics possibly?) but obviously the "Orville by Gibson" guitars are more desirable/expensive.

At the time I did some research into my "Orville" badged ES335 (although, like this example, the label inside said "Orville by Gibson"). Mine was a late example. By then they were not making "Orville by Gibson" guitars and they were all badged just "Orville" and I presume had the Japanese pickups.

Also: the examples of "Orville by Gibson" 335s I've seen all had kluson-style tuners (green plastic pegs) whereas my "Orville" had Grover-style tuners (metal pegs).

Either way, I think it's going to have a showdown with my newest Sheraton on Monday.

Make them let you see if the pickups are the USA stock ones before you plunk down your cash.

At the price they're selling it, they could have thrown in any old thing and sold the pickups on eBay for $150 the pair...

ObG's have a nitro finish and USA pickups and hardware. Orvilles have a poly finish and Jap pickups and hardware, both great guitars. I had a few Orvilles when they were less well known, these days they are almost twice the price I used to pay for them. My last ObG Les Paul Custom cost me £250, you are looking at £700 now.

Archived