Gibson Brands Forums

Before I hit the "PURCHASE NOW" button......

duane v

Just wondering if any of you have advice...

KRK RP5G2 Rokit G2 Powered 2-Way Active Monitor = Studio Monitors for my Tascam24Neo

Alesis SR-18 Drum Machine = For studio and live performances

Let me know whatya think

Thanx

I would go with Roland drum machine before I get something from Alesis, their drum machines are loaded with unrealistic drum sounds and some 80s pop/electric sounding stuff, then again if you are in for that kind of sound :rolleyes: I've found Alesis drums to be a huge disapointment (and I've owned and tried almost every drum related product they've put out in the last 10 years [cursing] ).

Why I have been going back to Alesis time and again? 'cause Roland is too damn expensive that's why. But you how it goes, you get what you pay for. And Roland makes the best electronic drums and drum modeules out there. They actually record from real drums on a studio.

As for the monitors, I haven't tried them. Are you looking for pro, semi-pro or home studio stuff? There are some monitors that cost little money and are good if you are not into producing top selling pop bands. [smile]

BTW, if you are serious about it, get a real hi-fi system (the real deal, none of that "ipod ready" stuff with selectable EQ presets! [sneaky] ). You might alreay own one but if you don't it's a good time to find a used one for cheap as most people is getting rid of them in favor of a smaller and "better" ipod ready gizmo.

Anyway (rant aside), you should have a hi-fi system in there, prefferably one of the old ones with the 30 band EQ strip and the big-a$$ speakers that actually give you a real idea of how what you are mixing will sound like.

You can record and mix with the studio monitors, but being nearfield monitors what you hear from them is not what you'll hear from a cd player, ipod, computer speakers or car stereo. So it's best to listen to it through a good quality hi-fi with nice big speakers and an EQ section you can play with (keep it flat, everything in 0, if you have to rise or lower something for it to sound perfect, then you have a good idea of what you have to do in your DAW to the track). [thumbup]

Ever noticed those Yamaha monitors almost every studio has? They used to come with a yamaha stereo that wasn't either high end or hard to come by (main reasons lots of guys used them back in the day), funny how some things become "industry standard". :rolleyes:

Best of luck in your recording adventures DV

Yes Duane; IMO the Rockits are awesome....On Musician's Friend right now, for the same price of the Rockits with the 5" woofers, they have them in gray with the 6" woofers......I love them...Get them...

As per drum machines, I'm switching over to the " software type " via 'EZ drummer'............I'm making the jump to software slowly............

As Thunder says, Roland makes great stuff; NEVER a bad product...............You'll want some MONITORING headphones as well; different from regular headphones; built and designed for the same functions as studio monitors; to produce NEUTRAL FLAT sounds of your recordings....

To expand briefly on T. God's post; Yes, listen to rough mixes of your recordings on home stereos, car stereos, etc etc, boomboxes.....Monitors are designed to help one get a good NEUTRAL mix that will sound good ' overall ' on all systems.......Final mastering should be done by those who know their stuff....Of course, you already know all of this because you are awesome................

Yes, those Yamaha monitors are legendary, and are in most big a** studios...They might not use them, but they have them...Back when they were the monitor standards, engineers put T.P. over the tweeters to stifle the highs; just a footnote.......

My ' studio ' is NOT assembled, and is a mess, yet I'm suddenly doing work with and for all kinds of musicians via WAV and AIFF files, co-writing with folks; the new internet recording world is something else; point is, yes, go with Rockit monitors......And ' live ' drummers are no longer needed for recording; a gosh darn good thing.............

I'd been looking at getting back more "live" with a duo and was considering one of two things with a "drum machine." That fell through, but I did a lot of thinking about it.

First, just using the antique Univox I still have from the early/mid 1970s. Oddly enough it doesn't necessarily sound like a drum set but it's easy to adjust and having used it in the '70s, for my needs it'd probably work regardless. Had I started doing something already, it'd be the first choice for vocals, guitar and bass.

But increasingly I'm convinced that going to a laptop for a number of things on a gig may be the better idea. A computerized song list with everything from key to lyrics to ... whatever the computer might otherwise be used for.

The advantage to a drum machine of some sort is obvious, though.

I don't know enough about studio monitors to make an intelligent comment except that I would agree that running music through everything from crappy computer speakers to a good "high fidelity" system probably is a good idea regardless. I learned that the hard way myself by adding too much bass - just right for the lousy computer speakers, but broke up on anything much better.

m

I would go with Roland drum machine before I get something from Alesis, their drum machines are loaded with unrealistic drum sounds and some 80s pop/electric sounding stuff, then again if you are in for that kind of sound :rolleyes: I've found Alesis drums to be a huge disapointment (and I've owned and tried almost every drum related product they've put out in the last 10 years [cursing] ).

Why I have been going back to Alesis time and again? 'cause Roland is too damn expensive that's why. But you how it goes, you get what you pay for. And Roland makes the best electronic drums and drum modeules out there. They actually record from real drums on a studio.

As for the monitors, I haven't tried them. Are you looking for pro, semi-pro or home studio stuff? There are some monitors that cost little money and are good if you are not into producing top selling pop bands. [smile]

how about the Boss DR-880????

I've been watching some youtube demos, and it does have that nice rock drum set sound I'm looking for... It's about $300 more, but I just wanna do this once, so I won't let price play too big of a role in my decision

Not that it probably helps much, but I went with a small entry level kit of electronic drums because I think better with a tactile kind of input, if that makes any sense. I'm a lousy drummer, but it sure is fun to bash away on the things and having a volume knob is super useful ;)

I ended up going with a Roland kit myself (td-3 or td-4? the one with the mesh snare and small rack) after trying out a Simmons and Yamaha set. The Roland sounded the best and let me do things like choke cymbals and whatnot. I had actually played a short recording for some acquaintances of mine and they were floored when I told them they weren't acoustic drums. The Yamaha's had an additional feature of being able to tune the drums to pitch very easily with a knob on each pad, but didn't sound quite as good.

So I guess my longwinded point is +1 Roland [biggrin]

i am concerned, and maybe a bit opinionated, but why would you want a drum machine for live performances?

i also want to reinforce the good replies about the difference between monitors and a decent audio setup. i have experienced those issues before listening to what i thought was a good mix.

i am concerned, and maybe a bit opinionated, but why would you want a drum machine for live performances?

Some places we play do not have the room, nor tolerate the decibel levels a live drummer introduces.

just a thought, but the BR-800 I recently got has a rhythm editor and drum machine built in... gotta read more about this, but if it does general midi and/or has a decent editor, it might be able to do double duty as a live drum machine AND digital recorder.

I've been watching some youtube demos, and it does have that nice rock drum set sound I'm looking for... It's about $300 more, but I just wanna do this once, so I won't let price play too big of a role in my decision

I have one and like it. Easy to use sounds great always works and has a usb to update from the Boss site....Built like a tank and it sounds great...whats not to like...jmo

PS. as far as using it live....well it won't drink any of your beer...nuff' said... ](*,)

Guest FarnsBarns

Get yourself a copy of PropellerHeads Reason for use as a domestic drum machine. Actually, Reason is a very complete sequencer and editing suite. It works by presenting studio hardware on screen, you simply add drum machines, samplers synths etc and you can turn the virtual rack round and set up the wiring too.

I use it with an M-Audio 10 track sound card so I can get each part that the sequencer produces output on separate tracks and record them onto my Roland 24 track hd recorder for mixing. Add live elements and make master cds with the Roland's built in mastering suite and cd writer.

It all makes for a reasonable home studio (with a few decent mics and a good MIDI KB controlling reason. For really good recordings I still use proffesioanal studios but for most purposes this set up is good.

BOSS is one of Roland's sub-brands, and as much as there are some people out there trying to make everyone think BOSS is crap, it's actually really good, sounds good, and everything they make is built to last. A pal of mine owns some older Dr Rythm unit from BOSS, I think it was the cheapest at the time, and it's better than all the stuff the other brands had at the time. [thumbup]

If money is not an issue, how about going all out for a roland module? Like the td20 -it's called something else now but I don't remember the name- it would give you the option of wiring some pads to it if the need to actually play something arises. I've recorded with the td20 and mesh pads for a while and every drummer has praised that thing

Archived