Gibson Brands Forums

I think I have found 'my' amp

lagerfanny

Recently I've been looking online at damn near every video of every amp going! (like we all do [biggrin] )

I have now found exactly the sounds & tones I've had in my head in the shape of this beauty, the Marshall JMD:1 series,

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=JMD501

If you go to theatre, then Overview/Pre-amp (2nd from last vid) you'll hear the various settings.

Gonna try one out this weekend and see for myself, can't wait!

just sold my Spider Valve 112, 40W to a buddy...great sounding amp...and picked up via eBay a more 'simple' but better sounding amp...Bogner Alchemist 112(by Line6). Amazing tone...my son and I are really enjoying it. Recommend it.

Edited 3/14/2011: Amp suddenly died last eve (would not turn on...fuse fine)...going back to vendor...they be sending me another one.

Why did someone give you a -1? I bumped it back up. Probly a mistake (a wrong regardless, but, who cares really).

That sounds like a fun amp. Lots and lots of different sounds. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I find that after a while, digital gets tiring to listen to. While it may be a good approximation, I think perhaps after a while our brains seem to pick up on things our concious minds can't.

But having said that, I do realize that for those who want a buttload of sounds from one amp, there really is no other way, especially if you want to approximate the sound of a cranked distorted marshall at a volume level that makes more sense. And, I think even a hardcore traditionalist would have fun with that amp for a while.

Thanks for sharing.

Recently I've been looking online at damn near every video of every amp going! (like we all do [biggrin] )

I have now found exactly the sounds & tones I've had in my head in the shape of this beauty, the Marshall JMD:1 series,

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=JMD501

If you go to theatre, then Overview/Pre-amp (2nd from last vid) you'll hear the various settings.

Gonna try one out this weekend and see for myself, can't wait!

I tried one of those about a month ago. I used a 58 LP reissue. Honestly, the Marshall was so sweet. To be honest, it was everything I've wanted in an amp and is now top of my list to save up for. There not too pricey either, you can get them in Canada for about $899.00 brand new.

I have a Hughes and Kettner Matrix 100 combo. It gives me all of those sounds.

I only paid £125 for it. came with the 4 channel pedal. I think Marshall are late getting into digital stuff.

You can buy a second hand Mesa Boogie for those prices. If you have to save hard for an amp, buy second hand.

It has tubes in the preamp and power amp sections.

True that it has power amp tubes but the 12AX7 tube is the Phase inverter not a preamp tube, the pre amp is all digital, not saying it's bad, just clarifying.

BTW, I have my eye on that amp too, keep looking for a store that stocks it.

I have a Digitech RP1000 that has all the Marshall amps in it, when I plug it into the effects loop in or power amp in, it's basically the same setup.

Archived