Gibson Brands Forums

what signature pickup should i get

hotshot9991

This is killing me between two, ive been through alot of pickups lately and thought for the first time I should try out a signature pickup and the two ive been dying about is the seymour duncan slash alnico 2 pros and he evh Frankenstein humbucker.Which one should I buy and review on here and maybe put up a video for.Its killing me and I don't know yet which one I should choose.

It's hard to suggest anything because you haven't mentioned what type of sound you're looking for, your budget, what pickups you've tried and what you didn't like about them.

Have you actually ever tried BareKnuckle pickups?

Many times, you?

Give that guitar to me Fred ill make it a real shredder.

it gives me Nirvana tone like no other! and with a little amp tweaking, I can get some sweet cleans out of it, way better than when it was a 'bucker. I am considering getting something like that, a nasty pickup like this and do the mod, then put it in my LP

I think pickups are kinda like a lotta "gear" in that it makes you feel good for something that makes very little difference to an actual audience.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a gear nut too. But on an electric guitar I figure if an instrument is playable and reliable, there's enough opportunity to mess with tone between the guitar and the amp.

Two exceptions might include a master volume on most Gibson-style twin humbucker pickup guitars, and bad pups/switches/pots/wiring/jacks on an older instrument.

Various stomp boxes and eq devices should take care of a lotta the tone questions. Not perhaps perfectly but let's be really honest, we all hear things somewhat differently. I know I don't hear some frequencies as well as others. Yeah, it's worse since I'm old, <grin> but the point is, nobody has a perfect hearing response nor even if we did in theory, our heads will "color" stuff to reflect what we think we want to hear.

Bottom line is that people's ears are like speakers. Some emphasize some ranges, some emphasize others. My cheapies without a bass thumper are pretty weak. Tinny even. Add the thumper and it probably reproduces more than I can hear anyway. If I'm in a saloon or concert, I want to hear cleanly the musical technique. Tone is what percent of what we wanna hear? And what do we really mean when we say "tone?"

I guess I'd rather have a good, playable, reliable electric, good connection to amp/stomp boxes, good reliable stomp box setup whatever it may be, and an amp that is capable of putting out the kind of sound balance I find pleasing. The pickups are but a small part of that although yeah, single coils will sound different from doubles and various coil taps will do this or that.... etc.

I've had some darned decent pickups on lousy guitars (although some of 'em looked "funny" to modern eyes) and some unreliable ones on good guitars. In both cases one has to wonder. But a good guitar with reliable pickups? I think personally I'd rather buy stuff between the guitar to the listener rather than inside the guitar. Again, bad switches, pots, wiring and other parts are a different thing.

m

It's hard to suggest anything because you haven't mentioned what type of sound you're looking for, your budget, what pickups you've tried and what you didn't like about them.

Have you actually ever tried BareKnuckle pickups?

yes I have tried them and also there signature pickups so im not looking for a certain diffrent sound that's why there signature pickups i like both the brown sound and slashes sleeze rock sound.Im just asking about which pickup you think I should buy and also if I get the evh pickup im getting from my friend for only 90 bucks its originally 150.00 but dose that clear it up just a little. I was looking to try for the first time a signature pickup and see what you guys though about them thanks for replying though and talk to you later.

Now that the thread is a little further along, it makes more sense to me.

I thing the slash model. I think that more poeple would be more interested in hearing what that sounds like. The reason against the evh model would be confusion. He changes pickups an specs like too often to be able to truely get a handle on what his "signature" stuff could be. Todays evh pup might be completely different than tomarrows.

This is killing me between two, ive been through alot of pickups lately and thought for the first time I should try out a signature pickup and the two ive been dying about is the seymour duncan slash alnico 2 pros and he evh Frankenstein humbucker.Which one should I buy and review on here and maybe put up a video for.Its killing me and I don't know yet which one I should choose.

I've never tried the EVH humbuckers, but the Slash set sounds great. I'd recommend them.

Archived