Gibson Brands Forums

On my want list: A paisley patterned nehru jacket

Sancho Panza

So, I am pretty deep into the 60s, and I am now searching for a paisley patterned nehru jacket. It seems pretty impossible to locate one. Does anyone know where I can get one? They can come up on eBay sometimes, but they are really expensive. Doesn't anyone have one laying around the house and want to get rid of it? :D

wordlesssongscom.jpg

fs3714.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_409764-r1-e010_010.jpg

My brother had two of them around 1968, not paisley but blue sparkle and gold sparkle. I can see him now, wearing one of them while playing Hanky Panky on a baby blue Fender Mustang through a Heathkit amp.

No idea whatever happened to them, they probably got too close to an open flame and WHOOOOSH!

I had a "natural" one back then. Sheesh, it got tossed by '72 I think. Then it was super-wide neckties and four-button jackets with wide lapels and then leisure suits that were really horrid plastic things but worked exceptionally well for air travel.

I think the idea of having one made may be the best overall.

I'd also wager that a modern seamstress nowadays probably could find a pattern on the Internet. I know there are a lot available for ladies' 1950s dresses because we're getting ready for a museum foundation fundraising party here with a '50s theme. Me? Naaaah. For that just jeans, roll 'em up so white socks and shoes (I think I still have some shoes, although I always wear boots), tight T-shirt with ciggies rolled up in the left sleeve and a genuine Harley Davidson motorcycle jacket I still have from the mid 1950s.

<grin>

m

I had a "natural" one back then. Sheesh, it got tossed by '72 I think. Then it was super-wide neckties and four-button jackets with wide lapels and then leisure suits that were really horrid plastic things but worked exceptionally well for air travel.

I think the idea of having one made may be the best overall.

I'd also wager that a modern seamstress nowadays probably could find a pattern on the Internet. I know there are a lot available for ladies' 1950s dresses because we're getting ready for a museum foundation fundraising party here with a '50s theme. Me? Naaaah. For that just jeans, roll 'em up so white socks and shoes (I think I still have some shoes, although I always wear boots), tight T-shirt with ciggies rolled up in the left sleeve and a genuine Harley Davidson motorcycle jacket I still have from the mid 1950s.

<grin>

m

I still wonder why everyone keeps throwing them away, it breaks my already broken heart.

Haha! Did you really have the ciggies rolled up in the sleeve? Wonder why people don't have it like that anymore, like the the ciggies on the helmet.

Guest FarnsBarns

Haha! Did you really have the ciggies rolled up in the sleeve? Wonder why people don't have it like that anymore, like the the ciggies on the helmet.

Sometimes I roll my ciggies up in my sleeve if I'm short of pockets!

My mum still keeps a tissue up her sleeve!

Yeah, we really did the thing with the ciggies in the t-shirt sleeve. It worked best with the smaller "regular" length cigarettes.

The one real "nasty" on my old Guild S100c is a burn from a Camel cigarette placed just upstream of the nut while playing in a saloon and kinda forgot it was there. That's really typical for the era and before.

I still do that... but with filtered "little cigars." With the law trying to make it so people die of other chemicals in the air instead of tobacco smoke, that's just when I'm practicing at home.

Ah, our chemically pure modern culture where kids become horribly overweight and diabetic, and often filled with Ritalin doses instead of being tobacco smokers to cough between blues songs.

m

Yeah, we really did the thing with the ciggies in the t-shirt sleeve. It worked best with the smaller "regular" length cigarettes.

The one real "nasty" on my old Guild S100c is a burn from a Camel cigarette placed just upstream of the nut while playing in a saloon and kinda forgot it was there. That's really typical for the era and before.

I still do that... but with filtered "little cigars." With the law trying to make it so people die of other chemicals in the air instead of tobacco smoke, that's just when I'm practicing at home.

Ah, our chemically pure modern culture where kids become horribly overweight and diabetic, and often filled with Ritalin doses instead of being tobacco smokers to cough between blues songs.

m

Haha, I have only seen when people have the ciggies on the nut, but never understood why, it just sits there! Have to go out and buy me a package John Silver ! :D

Hey, Dub... it was a long, long time ago.

When I was shorta cash I'd by a can of Prince Albert pipe tobacco and roll my own. That worked well for camping and hiking, too, 'cuz the can was pretty much waterproof...

I quit rolling my own when I was in an urban environment for some years and the "roll your own" looked as if something illegal was under way. <grin>

m

HA!..Here in Oregon it is considered more socially correct to smoke pot than smoke cigarettes. Some actually think you are a bad person and that it is somehow unethical to smoke, but there is also a big movement to legalise pot (and these are actually the same poeple, really).

Not that either one makes you cool. One makes you unhealthy, and one makes you stupid. But being addicted to cigarettes, NOT smoking them makes me a raving insane maniac.

At least a paisley shirt would make me feel better. I would have it made with pockets, then you could have your smokes, (or other stuff) neatly stored for more happiness. We all win here.

Oddly, I happen to have a paisly strat with the cigarette burn on the headstock. I also happen to be out of smokes.

Stein...

I think you nailed it in terms of social commentary. Actually mary jane supposedly even has more carcinogens than tobacco. Interesting.

As for shirts with pockets, including paisleys, check a western wear store.

m

Since the name Nehru came from an Indian statesman for whom the jacket is named. Check out Indian neighborhoods. They might still be in vogue.

While I suspect he had no had in inventing, nor naming it, he was probably the only Indian most people saw on their electric TVs or in the papers back in the day. Since this type of jacket was not common in the US, Nehru's name got applied to it.

But, having one made is probably your best bet.

One thing I got a kick out of back in the '60s is that in spite of a large degree of anti-military sentiment among young people of the era, "war surplus" uniform jackets were quite popular. The "Nehru" jacket was popular too - but oddly it's not that different from some of the military stuff that was being sold, at least in the US and UK.

I'm guessing, but I think it was popular in India because it was less expensive to make than a jacket with a full collar. The front, at least to waistline, was quite similar also to US Army officers and later enlisted prior to, and throughout the 2nd American Civil War of the 1860s (the first was in the 1770s) up to the turn of the century.

If you don't care for sleeves... some of the re-enactor "sutlers" make vests that pretty much follow the pattern, too. Here's one where I've had good experiences with: http://www.mercurysutler.com/

Their prices for hand-made stuff is quite good. http://www.mercurysutler.com/clothing.htm has shirts - including with 2 buttons, gray, dark and sky blue, green, butternut and others.

m

If you call Mercury, ask if they remember Milo D and Jim Acker in South Dakota... Most of my reenacting gear came from them.

m

Milo, are you inside my mind? That is the other item I'm looking for! I only have a picture, but maybe you know what kind of jacket it is:

TasmaniansGypsyCraig.jpg (The jacket on the left)

26169.jpg

3207616.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FDAD24E7FA859784D037AA2D12B2139C19100FB3B81619E06CE30A760B0D811297

No idea really - but.... if you wanna spend a cupla bucks... <grin>

http://www.sutlers.us/acatalog/IWuniforms.html

Actually I think at Mercury it's less expensive. I have one and have worn it just as a regular jacket. It's great for at a summer 1860s dance or something because you leave the front open (buttoned at the top, of course) and the sash under your saber belt. Dressy but not too hot at all.

Item MISC14 on http://www.garlic.com/~rgkay/preww1.html ---- looks pretty much like 1872 US officer regulation (they differ since they weren't "issue," but purchased privately by officers). But the guys apparently thought the '72 reg jacket looked too much like a musicians' jacket and so they went back quickly to the 5-button sack coat.

On the same page, Item MISC20-Pattern 1895 officer jacket... not bad.

Those photos are of the real thing "old" clothing that really should be for museum display while you have somebody like Mercury build you something pretty much to measure for a lot less cash.

m

Archived