Gibson Brands Forums

my mate just got burgled

Guest Farnsbarns

I lost lotza stuff in my teens and early 20s in two fires. Almost lost me in the second one.

Even at that age it was pretty traumatic to lose virtually everything and I didn't really have much, really.

Burglary is even more intrusive, I think, because you can't blame a bad electric cord or a bad oil furnace carburetor. It's a people who have targeted you one way or another.

I think Duane is right on this one. A bit of compassion can go a long way and our forum member is apparently doing the best he can to help.

Fire or burglary, there's a secondary feeling that somehow you could have, should have, seen it coming and you add personal "guilt" feelings to the feeling of loss. In the case of burglary one adds an additional feeling of personal violation.

It's all sad.

I was lucky in both fires in that I escaped (wasn't home in the first at 19, woke up and escaped from the second at 22) and so did my guitars. In both cases they were cased and on the floor. Firemen were quite nice about protecting them, too. In the second one, a fireman friend told me by all rights I shouldn't have awakened. "You must have an angel on your shoulder." Whatever. I'm still here.

m

Hey guys, I haven't posted here for a while . But this subject ,is in the area I worked in for more than 20 years. I would be considered an expert anywhere in the world. In a Court of Law. But I have not worked in this field for about 10 years now. All of my experience was in New York City. I have seen just about everything concerning burglary that could happen. I will let you figure out what I did. So now you know some of my qualifications First, it is possible to tell if a lock has been opened without a key. There are indicators left, that an expert can see , when using the correct tools. If, these indicators are not present , than a key must have been used , If entry was though that door. That is very simple deductive reasoning.

Than we get to the part of how high of a security level is the lock in question . As there are some locks that can not be picked. Some that , If the person had the time and the knowledge and skill, it is possible, but doubtful . Than there is your standard level security lock. Easy to pick open and sold a many H.D. type stores. In all the time I have seen ,the after the fact, it is mostly, whom ever entered, used another point of entry to gain access into the premises. With out knowing of how detailed an analysis was done on the lock in question, type of lock and other variables. This is the most reasonable conclusion to come to. Saying a key was used to Open a lock, would be acceptable if that was the only way in and out. And there were no signs of forced entry or manipulation of the lock. Otherwise its no more than a guess. With your basic home lock , there is no way to tell if a key was used , by examination. Only the OP knows the full details so , no real conclusions can be made.

There is much info I have not wrote here as It is the kind of info that could teach someone , who shouldnt know these things. And in my former profession , there is info that is not shared with the general public. Never give your keys to anyone you would not trust with your life and put a High security lock on your door. In bigger cities this is a good practice. In low crime areas its not so much of a concern. But Id still think about it. As there really is no place that is completely safe.

To the Op I finished reading all of the posts and you do have a point with the missing key. It makes it an easy conclusion to come to . And mostly you and the police are correct.

I just wonder what kind of Lock they have that can tell whether it's been unlocked with a key or unlocked on the way out after coming in thru an unlocked window. Obviously not your typical Quick Set.

Those type of lock are for real ,not normally for home use although. They are high security locks and are conected to computers that record all entry and exits. some are self contained.

Sadly this is very common - real estate agents are not usually crooked most often just in a hurry and not always observant of the surrounding and clients. A forensic expert can't tell anything about a lock other than it was not forced or opened with a lock pic, there's no magic that tell's you every time a key is used. The officer basically said that there was no forced entry/b] so everybody points to the person with a key, just like the next suspect would be a maid or a dog walker or somebody else with access. The sad part is that forced entry isn't often needed especially with people going in and out of all the door and checking windows etc.

as a example I just bought a new smaller home and in six trips to see it my wife and I were able to walk into the house four times so on 4 out of 6 visits somebody had left the house open.

A real estate sign is kind of a rob me now - I'm empty sign - to many people including every delinquent kid in the area so somebody even a client could have left a window open or a door unlocked even by accident. By law here in the US the agent has to keep a log of all showings now just in case this happens. The fact that a extra set of key's was stolen is always a second concern often because it often means that the thief will wait for insurance to replace the stolen property and come back. the same thing happens when a lot of stuff is damaged or broken during a theft we often think it's kids doing vandalism as part of the break in which is sometimes is, sadly it is also often a professional thief that didn't thing your stuff was worth much so they trash it all waiting for you to replace all your old crap with something worth stealing.

When I rented a place, I always changed the locks. Mind you, the lease said not to, but I did anyway. Last thing I did when moving out of a place, remove MY lockset, and replace it with the Landlord's.

Given that the scenes of crime officer (forensic expert) says the doors where opened with a key. Don't let your estate agent have your keys!

So what did the local jean-de-arms say about their conversation with the real estate agent and inspection of his home, storage area and other rental units?

Finally, some sense...

Hey jamman, how's that Stinger doing? [smile]

Which One ? !!! both are great guitars and I'm very glad I have them. For whatever reason the plain top sounds better. Has a lower action I think it's the wood and pups. Maybe that was why it was the #1 of the R0's Stinger series. I really don't know. but i'd buy another in a heartbeat if I had the chance. They always asking me to bring more of their family home so they can have a reunion LOL!!!!! Maybe... I looing for a vintage guitar now maybe I'll pull the trigger on 1. I'm in no rush at this point.Thanks for asking.

Guest FarnsBarns

insurance job anyone? :-k

They aren't covered for 2 reasons, firstly because there was no forced entry and they gave the keys to a 3rd party. And secondly because they have an alarm but didn't set it because their dog and cats set it off.

When I rented a place, I always changed the locks. Mind you, the lease said not to, but I did anyway. Last thing I did when moving out of a place, remove MY lockset, and replace it with the Landlord's.

The lease may have said not to, but the law (at least in California) says you have every right to secure your home, that includes protecting your privacy from invasive Landlords. But, like you said, you have to reinstall the owners locks when you leave.

Which One ? !!! both are great guitars and I'm very glad I have them. For whatever reason the plain top sounds better. Has a lower action I think it's the wood and pups. Maybe that was why it was the #1 of the R0's Stinger series. I really don't know. but i'd buy another in a heartbeat if I had the chance. They always asking me to bring more of their family home so they can have a reunion LOL!!!!! Maybe... I looing for a vintage guitar now maybe I'll pull the trigger on 1. I'm in no rush at this point.Thanks for asking.

Yeah, the flamed one. I didn't know you had two, nice. I saw it on the historics forum. Well, you can always fine tune it and have it sounding/feeling sweetly [thumbup] .

Yeah, the flamed one. I didn't know you had two, nice. I saw it on the historics forum. Well, you can always fine tune it and have it sounding/feeling sweetly [thumbup] .

I was not saying it's a bad guitar at all.It's a great guitar. It just happens that imo the Plain top sounds better. every guitar sounds a bit different. Every LP has it's own voice and none are the same. So it is with these 2. I do however need to tweek the Figured top one , so I get the sound I want. My problem is I'd rather play them than work on them. LOL

Archived