Gibson Brands Forums

sg 61 reissue tunig problem?

Jeffvisca

...Make sure you have very little string bend over the bridge. You may need to top wrap or raise the tailpiece to get this angle low as you can. They come with a very severe angle. You can easily reduce this angle by 20 degs.

Not arguing with you, just trying to make sure new people understand how guitars work. I've never had anything but flush tailpieces, therefore, nothing but sever break angle over the bridge. There is no need to have "...very little string bend over the bridge,...". That just isn't true and probably has nothing to do with this guys problems.

rct

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 years later...

I just bought a 2019 '61 reissue yesterday. No matter what I do, this guitar will not intonate. Truss rod adjustments, bridge height, stopbar height: All still sharp and saddles maxed out. So disheartening. Spending $2500 CAD on a guitar and having to bankroll a tech to hopefully fix this is pretty disengaging. I bought a 2017 Firebird back in 2017 also, used, and in order to not have it buzzing, the action has to be incredibly high. I bought a Les Paul back in 2006 and it played amazingly and had no problems. Fell in love with Gibson. But life happened and I sold it, and since then,  guess I've just had bad luck. 

It is possible the bridge was put down just a smidge forward of where it should be.  Possible.

Intonating a guitar is part of a process of stringing and tuning and reliefing and tuning and setting heights and tuning and radiusing and tuning and then intonating  and tuning/repeat using a decent tuner.

I'm not saying you aren't doing those things, but are you doing those things?  Like do you work on guitars or are you sorta wildass guessing at it?  If you are the latter, lots of folks here can help you get it right, in the right order, and see if in fact the bridge was put down wrong or as is more likely, the nut is all futzed up.

If you are quite familiar with setting them up, good luck with it.  Sounds like a return to me, if the bridge is in the wrong spot or the nut is THAT bad.

rct

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rct said:

Intonating a guitar is part of a process of stringing and tuning and reliefing and tuning and setting heights and tuning and radiusing and tuning and then intonating  and tuning/repeat using a decent tuner.

Damn, all in one breath too.

Sniff sniff, I smell scotch.  🤪

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Speedfreakjive8 said:

I just bought a 2019 '61 reissue yesterday. No matter what I do, this guitar will not intonate. Truss rod adjustments, bridge height, stopbar height: All still sharp and saddles maxed out. So disheartening. Spending $2500 CAD on a guitar and having to bankroll a tech to hopefully fix this is pretty disengaging. I bought a 2017 Firebird back in 2017 also, used, and in order to not have it buzzing, the action has to be incredibly high. I bought a Les Paul back in 2006 and it played amazingly and had no problems. Fell in love with Gibson. But life happened and I sold it, and since then,  guess I've just had bad luck. 

Do you hear by ear that the intonation is off? I have come across some bogus tuners. Using those $20 dollar vibration type tuners is not a good idea for setting up a guitar. Some guys even use their smart phones, another bad idea.  Try some sort of chromatic tuner. Perhaps try using a different tuner and see if you get different results. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 11:28 PM, Speedfreakjive8 said:

You have a “2019 SG Standard 61”

Gibson didn’t make a 2019 SG ‘61 Reissue.

You got some good advice from rct.  Good luck with the intonation. 😎