Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Special TV Yellow ??

alans056

I have the TV yellow special and it's a great guitar, no complaints.

But I'd rather have a HRD given a choice between the two.

Special009body.jpg

That pic was awesome, it made the yellow really… pop… and look really… yellow, which is very nice

But I have to choose between the Les Paul Yellow, or a new amp (the HRD is the amp my favorite band uses, The Strokes)

Get the HRD first!! You already have one good guitar and you'll be amazed at the difference between the HRD and your current SS amp. Then you can get the Yellow LP like Nick V's later. [thumbup]

• 1 year later...

As far as replacement P90s go, there are several low costalternatives that will give you real bag-for-the-buck. Of course, a lot of people talk about GFS, and I think that in most cases, are an upgrade to Epi stock pickups. For about the same price ($75, shipped), there's a guy on eBay that does hand-scatter wound P-90s. I put a custom set (2) on my ZBD and they are much better than the stock Epis (mcm_guitarworks) Then, there are the Heywood Habaneros. A hot P-90 (16.9k!) that works well on single PU guitars and is fantastic for slide. I have put all of these P-90s on one guitar or another and although they aren't on a level of Lollars (the best P-90 made, IMHO), they are all good budget-minded P-90s. As far as any other mods, I'd change the cheap, hollow plastic nut and strings. That's it.

Mine is a bit cheaper than all the others pictured here:

The satin yellow isn't as bright as the TV finish. no pick guard, only one volume knob & one tone knob, and the pick-up switch is is not in the standard location

- but it plays really sweet and was dirt cheap -- $89 (regular $129)

EpiLPSpecP90_zps368ae64b.jpg

Archived