Gibson Brands Forums

You WON'T believe this is the same guitar...

bullet22

6a00e398cde5cd000100f48cedc6dd0003-500pi

Taken in my home studio.....

6a00e398cde5cd000100fa969a03e70003-500pi

Same guitar in my lounge.....

I even think they were taken with the same camera.

I guess this could serve as a warning to newbies buying guitars just from photos..... The top picture almost looks like a Desertburst!

BTW, when I bought this Standard I asked the dealer to walk outside with it, so I could see it in daylight! He did it, no questions asked :-$

Hi' date='

My Slash does exactly the same thing. Under natural light the colour in the top is much brighter and deeper.

Flight959[/quote']

Is the Slash officially a Vintage Sunburst? Or is it his own spec'd finish?

Sometimes it looks green, sometimes brown. It is my favourite finish, by a mile.

Is the Slash officially a Vintage Sunburst? Or is it his own spec'd finish?

Sometimes it looks green' date=' sometimes brown. It is my favourite finish, by a mile.

[/quote']

Its known as Custom authentic dark tobacco burst..... Or Tobacco burst.

Awesome... in the first pic the bridge and stop tail doesnt even show... now thats what you call color constancy!

Heh-heh!

Yeah - that first one was taken as soon as I got her home - mid string-change, before I did the right thing and fitted the pick-guard.

Nice guitar...but, it doesn't surprise me.

If you own a whateverburst Les Paul, you should know that the colour can vary greatly.

The outer edge on my DB looks almost black in pictures, in reallity, it's not.

The R8 also looks almost black around the pup switch in some pics.

The R9 that almost look Iced Tea-ish in some pics. A lot of the red doesn't come out.

I'll post pictures when I get home later (of the R9...just for you Thunder!).

Camera shops, at least they did back when there were darkrooms, sell grey cards that are grey (18% reflection, if I recall) on one side to help with exposure, and almost white (98% reflectivitity) on the other side. The idea was to take one shot in a given lighting situation with the white card in the frame, and the photofinishers could adjust the color accordingly.

With a digital camera, you have to get the instructions on how to manually adjust the "white balance" and this is done either on the camera or afterwards on the computer (sometimes you need to record in "raw" format rather than .jpg in order to manipulate the color). You might think it's a manipulation to adjust the color afterwards, but you're actually restoring it to an accurate photo. Maybe some pro photogs can chime in on good recommendations, but basically the best color rendition is going to be outside with indirect sunlight, referred to as "open shade." Overcast days are best. Most film, and today most digital cameras, are balanced for daylight. Different light sources really do have different colors. Your brain adjusts of course but the film doesn't without a little help. Remember how green everyone looked on Polaroids looked if you took them in fluorescent light? You do remember Polaroids, right? It's time for my pill and my nap.

If you own a whateverburst Les Paul' date=' you should know that the colour can vary greatly.

[/quote']

yep, totally right! it's not (just) a camera exposure problem

these guitars REALLY (I mean in real life, not on pictures) look different

depending from the different light

Tim maybe remember I asked about my R9 color in a previous thread:

that's officially a *faded tobacco*, but, specially in full sunlight, looks more like a bourbon/brockburst

judge by yourself (and what you see in the pictures is as it really looks to my eyes)...

inside:

R9FT.jpg

outside:

R91.jpg

:P

Archived