Gibson Brands Forums

To everyone who has the Tribute model...

bjones1972

I have the Cherry Burst finish...has anyone else noticed that the binding around the body has a yellowish tint to it? Is this supposed to look this way? This is the first LP I've ever owned, so I'm kind of new to the world of the LP guitar.

Welcome

I have a 1959 (the same in some respects) it also has a slightly yellowish colour to the binding, I would class it as "Cream" tho. This is the standard binding colour found on GIBSONS, I will say tho that on normal Epi Les Pauls they have a lighter cream colour to them

Bjones,

Welcome to the forum....

How 'bout some pics?

As to the binding. I don't know about the Tribute. (wish I had one) What I can tell you is that I do have a LP Standard from 2005. It is a blue burst. The bindings on mine were somewhat yellowed. (aged looking)

Many of the same ones that year where bleach white. Personally, I like the the slightly aged (cream) look.

But, to each their own.

The bindings on mine have just sightly less of an aged look than my 76 Gibson Custom.

Willy

Ok..so my next question: How can I use my serial number on the Tribute to figure out where and when my guitar was made? And as for pics...well, I'll have to figure out how to upload...the board for some reason doesn't like Flickr.

Ok..so my next question: How can I use my serial number on the Tribute to figure out where and when my guitar was made? And as for pics...well, I'll have to figure out how to upload...the board for some reason doesn't like Flickr.

YYMMFFRRRRR -- new model codes, no letter prefix

Beginning 2008-09 models are appearing w/o a letter prefix to i.d. the factory. Based on what is reported so far, it appears that the serial code may be:

YY = first two digits = year of manufacture

MM = second two digits = month of manufature

FF = third two digits = factory i.d. where made -- the factory code #s identified so far are shown in red print below

RRRRR = remaining digits = ranking number

-- example 08121520333 was made in December 2008, factory 15, 2 unknown significance, 0333 unit produced

Thats the best bet

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/54419-id-your-epiphone-here-serial-key-guitardater-link-factory-codes-a-worldwide-guide-%26gt%3Bpart-3/

YYMMFFRRRRR -- new model codes, no letter prefix

Beginning 2008-09 models are appearing w/o a letter prefix to i.d. the factory. Based on what is reported so far, it appears that the serial code may be:

YY = first two digits = year of manufacture

MM = second two digits = month of manufature

FF = third two digits = factory i.d. where made -- the factory code #s identified so far are shown in red print below

RRRRR = remaining digits = ranking number

-- example 08121520333 was made in December 2008, factory 15, 2 unknown significance, 0333 unit produced

Thats the best bet

http://forum.gibson....%26gt%3Bpart-3/

This method doesn't seem to apply to the Tribute models. Their serial #s begin with F#####... The "F" used to indicate Fujigen, Japan, as factory of origin, but not in this case. The Tribs are definitely made in China, but nobody's been able to figure out what the "F" means.

Ah then it IS like mine F301### its also STAMPED into the headstock like a Gibson.

Mine was made in China so your best bet is "Qingdao" as the likely factory

BUT they would have been finished off and setup in the USA

"F" as has been said USED to refer to Fujigen factory in Japan & One factory in Korea

But the reality is that the F's are now just used for these limited Run models

So for those that are on here lets just confirm those using F###### serials

_/ - 1959

_/ - Tribute

X - Bonamassa (Standard Serial)

_/ - 1960

X - Slash "Appetite for Destruction" (Standard Serial)

Any help appreciated

Update

So far it only seems to be used on the Vintage models based on the 50/60's designs

I'm sort of torn here about a couple of things concerning my LP...first off, the finish is slightly spotty in places and has light scratches that really can only be seen when shifting the body in the light. Not a deal breaker, because any guitar that gets played regularly is going to develop blemishes...and again, these aren't terribly noticeable. The one unsettling thing about this guitar, to me, is the headstock. Looking at the back, it seems that the headstock is a separate piece from the neck. I've not examined a Gibby LP up close, but I wonder just how durable this type of construction is...or maybe I'm just concerning myself with a non issue. The one thing keeping me from sending it back to MF because of the finish and fractionally off kilter knobs is the sound. This thing has a tonal palette that is unbelievable. The 57 Classics and the sustain are like buttah.

I'm sort of torn here about a couple of things concerning my LP...first off, the finish is slightly spotty in places and has light scratches that really can only be seen when shifting the body in the light. Not a deal breaker, because any guitar that gets played regularly is going to develop blemishes...and again, these aren't terribly noticeable. The one unsettling thing about this guitar, to me, is the headstock. Looking at the back, it seems that the headstock is a separate piece from the neck. I've not examined a Gibby LP up close, but I wonder just how durable this type of construction is...or maybe I'm just concerning myself with a non issue. The one thing keeping me from sending it back to MF because of the finish and fractionally off kilter knobs is the sound. This thing has a tonal palette that is unbelievable. The 57 Classics and the sustain are like buttah.

The headstock on a Les Paul are almost always 2 seperate parts glued together in a V at the end of the neck, depending on which finish you have it, varies in how obvious it is.

Because its an angled neck it can't really be made in 1 part for strength "Wood grain" concerns.

Finally the neck is as durable as the last its weekpoint is the volute under the truss rod cover between the 2 wood pieces and is NORMAL. The only way your going to get a stronger neck is with a Sraight neck guitar like a Fender and some vintage Epiphones for example. so don't worry [thumbup]

Archived