Gibson Brands Forums

looking to purchase a J-200 Elite

purecountry

As I understand the models, the Elite differs from others only in cosmetics yet costs nearly as much as the True Vintage. If the abalone, ebony board and bridge, bone and other features move you (and, let's face it, appearance is part of the appeal of any J-200), then there's no reason not to get an Elite. If you're looking for the best sound, the extras on an Elite won't guarantee that, although obviously a nice Elite can sound as good or better than any other J-200. I think both the Elite and TV have bone nut and saddle (I'm certain about the TV) and the Elite might have bone pins, but the pins can be added to any J-200 for around $30.

I might have some of these specifics about the Elite wrong but if I do, I'm sure others will chime in. In any case, I think the Elite's differences from other models are primarily, if not exclusively, cosmetic. If that's important, then the Elites can be really beautiful guitars.

Hey pure country ,

Well I think which ever version of the J200 you buy is a good buy .

I would encourage you to try and seek out a True Vintage model

because that's the one I have . And my expirience is great :) I've been living out of the states for a decade now

and I aquired a T.V J200 about a year ago , not being able to play it , only saw pictures of it and to add more drama to that

is the fact that it's probably the only Lefty T.V model out there ... I have to say it's a great axe and there is not a doubt

in my mind that Gibson is producing great sounding guitars .Mine is for the original run in 2007 . So I support you and

I hope my answer helps you in your quest.

Actually, the Elite differences aren't always just cosmetic.

While some Elites have maple b/s . . . . some have rosewood b/s.

As always, Gibson bounces around on specs and names - I've seen the same basic guitar called: J-200 Elite, J-200 Custom, and J-300.

Ya know, I've always had a "thing" for a Jumbo. I've always liked the "thunder" that a rosewood guitar brings to the table. When the SJ-300 came around (rosewood back and sides), I almost jumped! Wish I did still! Maybe someday!

Archived