Gibson Brands Forums

Early Christmas Present!!!!!

Paulocon

Hi all, Just had bought for me (as an early Christmas present) off Ebay - an Epiphone Les Paul Korean 1997 Goldtop with upgraded 'Seymour Duncan' pick ups. I'm so chuffed, can't wait to get it. Only problem though......have to wait til xmas to get my hands on it!! Boo!!

Looks in real good condition for the age - but not got hold of it yet, so need to check it first. Not sure yet if I've bagged myself a bargain - managed to get it for £220 GBP. So will let you know if I've got a good deal or NOT!!! Gulp!! Hate the wait for the guitar to arrive!

So anyone know how good these guitars are - its made in Korea at the Fine factory (looked it up already on the guitar data project) website - but would appreciate any more knowledge you all have etc.

Cheers for now, and will post some pics of it once I get it, if it's worthy of posting some pics.

Paulocon

It's my observation that "mail order" guitars probably will need some setup when you get it, depending on string choice and your other preferences.

It should be okay although... if you ain't played before buying, some used guitars may need more messing with than others and some may have un-stated difficulties.

That said... I don't see anything wrong with the guitar in concept. That time period should have Korean instruments being done quite well.

m

It's my observation that "mail order" guitars probably will need some setup when you get it, depending on string choice and your other preferences.

It should be okay although... if you ain't played before buying, some used guitars may need more messing with than others and some may have un-stated difficulties.

That said... I don't see anything wrong with the guitar in concept. That time period should have Korean instruments being done quite well.

m

Yeah, agreed. I have just received it this morning and on first inspection....it looks a real beauty. Its in very good condition for its age. Its a 97' Korean goldtop made at the Fine Factory. There is a small repair on the underside edge, but its been done very well and not too noticeable etc.

Will probably need some minor attention and tweeks here and there, but nowt too crucial. I may go the extra mile and replace little things like the screws for newer ones as they are blackened with age. But it gonna be a real vintage gem for sure!! Once I plug it in I'm sure those Seymours are gonna rock it!

post-20740-007948200 1302251360_thumb.jpg

post-20740-055096400 1302251377_thumb.jpg

post-20740-073912200 1302251441_thumb.jpg

post-20740-027893800 1302251463_thumb.jpg

Glad you came out well - and best of luck making it your own.

m

Yeah, really pleased with it so far - especially having only paid £220GBP for it - but I have to admit I don't know much about the 'Fine Factory' guitars from Korea etc. Anyone got any similar models from about 97' would like to hear their views.

Once its had a spruce up and proper clean - should be a real humdinger!!

Anyone got any suggestions as to what I could mod on it to improve it would be gratefully appreciated, but to be honest its already got a 'Gotoh' neck pup and a 'Seymour Duncan' bridge pup - so these are staying. Not sure how good the pick up switch is but maybe this could be improved by replacing it.

Its so good to have a new axe to drool over!!! ha ha

Paul

What I'd do...

Get it set up for and with the strings you prefer.

Play the thing for a while to see if any problems surface and if there's anything you don't entirely like about the guitar.

I'd say at least a cupla months of playing with strings of your choice, etc.

Then you can make a better decision, IMHO.

m

Archived