Gibson Brands Forums

Not your grandpa's Melody Makers

WahKeen

Everything looks so wrong to me. Does that make me a snob?

hmm... thats affirmative. :-k

lmao, jk :P

Im psyched to play one! The explorer and V are soooo mine. I'll finally be able play either of these body styles without looking completely awkward and rediculous as if i was playing my dads guitars. (if pops played metal)

Now i have to come up with the cash. I've got some Epi's that just loss places in my heart so that these can move on in.

I think this a brilliant idea from Gibson. Conquer the beginner market with these classic shapes AND entice those of us with higher end Gibsons to grab one of these as a beater. Like most of you, I'm most drawn to the Explorer myself and the kids out there are going to buy the crap out of the Flying V.

The only slightly negative thought I had is that these guitars kind of compete with the higher end Epiphones at that price point. I know I'd go the few extra $$ for the Gibson nameplate myself. Rich

it just looks....i dont know....cheap i guess. what with the maple fretboard. looks like something made by maestro company, not epiphone or gibson or epspecially GIBSON USA gee wiz. id rather get a really nice epiphone for the same price, who cares what the name brand is. but they should add that color blue to epiphone guitars [tongue]. i do admit though that these guitars probably make great practice ones [blink]

it just looks....i dont know....cheap i guess. what with the maple fretboard. looks like something made by maestro company, not epiphone or gibson or epspecially GIBSON USA gee wiz. id rather get a really nice epiphone for the same price, who cares what the name brand is. but they should add that color blue to epiphone guitars [tongue]. i do admit though that these guitars probably make great practice ones [blink]

Maple Fretboard? You mean rosewood? [lol]

Would have been nice, also...to have included the regular "double cut,"

Melody Maker, in White (at least). Since they don't make the Joan Jett

version, in white, anymore.

CB

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Melody-Maker/Gibson-USA/Joan-Jett-Signature-Melody-Maker.aspx

Charlie Brown YOU ARE IN LUCK! :rolleyes:

@dem00n haha yeah [lol]

Well, unless they've re-introduced that White version, that's an old ad, and they no longer

produce it, sadly.

CB

Without getting into politics, I think there are a number of reasons a less expensive line for Gibson makes pretty good sense.

Don't get me wrong, I love Epis, I've bought 2 new guitars the past decade and both were Epis 'cuz of the pocketbook, but...

The new MM shapes allow you to get a real Gibson manufactured in Anglophone North America. It's not the fanciest Gibson, but it's a Gibson. Heck, even folks who can drop $5,000 for a new guitar may do a deep inhale at a new $35,000 and up special Gibbie with more bling and whatever.

So it's a matter of scale, to me - which again is why I ended up with 2 Epis of different types over the past 10 years 'stedda one lower-priced Gibbie.

The problem is that if you buy a guitar for what it is, odds are you'll be happy. If you buy one for what you wish it could be, you're likely going to be struck by expectations and reality failing to mesh.

I could see how I would be rather happy with the SG version, the LPjr sorta shape or - if there were a special gig coming up where I would pretend I were a younger guy <grin>, yeah, the Explorer. Never cared much for the V, myself.

But it would be to play relatively bright and/or fuzzed music, probably some sort of lead work for whatever style.

A good value? I dunno. I'd wanna play one first.

A mid-range Epi is very nice, but a Gibson is ... still a Gibson at the lower price range. You pay your money and take your choice.

m

Got a 100 off coupon from GC this morn'n, added a blue SG MM to the cart, plugged in the coupon and BAM -100, hit the buy button and now we wait till she arrives.

You do realize that you HAVE to give us a rundown of how that new pickup sounds??

Man, i need some beano. Im all gassy.

Got a 100 off coupon from GC this morn'n, added a blue SG MM to the cart, plugged in the coupon and BAM -100, hit the buy button and now we wait till she arrives.

Thanks DiamondJig, I've been going back and forth on this for days. Then I seen your post about Guitar Centers $100.00 off coupon, and I couldn't pass it up. I just pulled the trigger on a blue SG Melody Maker. It came out to $469.00 including tax (Indiana collects sales tax on online orders). Can't go too wrong for 469 bucks.

Thanks DiamondJig, I've been going back and forth on this for days. Then I seen your post about Guitar Centers $100.00 off coupon, and I couldn't pass it up. I just pulled the trigger on a blue SG Melody Maker. It came out to $469.00 including tax (Indiana collects sales tax on online orders). Can't go too wrong for 469 bucks.

That's about what mine came too with tax, I just got an email that it ship'd already.

As might be expected in the UK they look set to retail for more pounds than they cost in dollars: Andertons.

Cool looking (Explorer especially, hoped for a little more from the V), interesting experiment with torrified maple (Gibson does eco again), and humbuckers should get closer to the classic Gibson sound than the previous single coils. Perhaps maple bodies might even impart a touch of the ES 335 tone. They should be a lot of fun. But the blue is not really nice, nor is satin ebony, and is it just me or is the volume knob in the wrong place? Pete Townshend would knock it off with one windmill. And a tone knob would make them a much more flexible.

Also, I am rather taken with the 59 reissue MM. One single coil and a wraparound bridge have a really beautiful simplicity about them. And all the clips I've heard sound great - loads of bite and power from the pup, but versatility from the tone pot. A 50s neck profile to boot instead of the new 60s jobs, and a real rosewood board. All that and they retail for about 100 quid cheaper than the new ones - sometimes with a hard case thrown in. Personally I'd be recommending kids to buy new old stock for something just a bit classier, even cheaper, and properly protected.

Archived