Gibson Brands Forums

GAS crisis!

singe

I can't afford the real thing but in my search for the holy grail of a Gibson 60's SG Jnr sound- I ended up with a close approximation. A 2007 dual pickup melody maker . It's a really great guitar and I like it loads. The thing is should I take a gamble now and try to move up the quality scale a bit and get a reissue bog standard les paul junior. I'd be worried in case it's too dark sounding as I got my fingers burnt once when I got a reissue SG junior which was muddy as hell even with a p90 - didn't like it at all. I like that the MM's are very resonant and loud acoustically and wondered if the new reissue les paul Juniors were similar?

Should I stick with the dual pickup MM or gamble on a new les paul junior? I do want plenty of twang and nothing too dark.

Just go play the damn guitars.

lol I asked for that - unfortunately I live nowhere near a credible music shop and have to rely on youtube vids and forums to form an idea about a guitar. then worse find one cheap on ebay.

LP JUNIOR, Hands Down, all day long.

My go to for the last 5 years, studio and stage is a 01' LPJ.

Self customized to my taste.

simple is better when you're looking for reliability.

And hey, p90's... Need I say more?

Just MHO.

If this is a either or question I'd go or the Junior it's just a better guitar all the way around, but honestly a 2007 MM is worth almost nothing secondhand, so play it and enjoy it save your money and buy the junior or something else when you have the money saved. Especially if you buy on ebay you have nothing to lose by waiting?

If this is a either or question I'd go or the Junior it's just a better guitar all the way around, but honestly a 2007 MM is worth almost nothing secondhand, so play it and enjoy it save your money and buy the junior or something else when you have the money saved. Especially if you buy on ebay you have nothing to lose by waiting?

here in the UK I think the dual pickup MMs hold their price OK. they're an excellent alternative to a telecaster. I like to play a lot of clean stuff. so I'm interested to know if the lp jnr is ok for that too. it seems to be the next 'lightest' sounding gibson single coil up from the MM except perhaps the marauder (which i can't afford either) . so price wise I think i can almost break even on swapping the MM for a basic second hand reissue lp jnr.

Archived