Gibson Brands Forums

so... many... amps!

Silenced Fred

Regarding the White Stripes:

I disgree heartily that they did anything new regarding blues, blues/rock, or what they did musically. I say that not to give them less credit, but rather to make such a statement or have such a perception takes away from the real deal, and the credit which they deserve (and they both deserve credit, not just Mr. White but Mrs. White as well).

Being a good musician is not just an abilty to play and perform, but a large part of it is an understanding of music. When it comes to the music of the White Stripes, what they are playing is nearly exactly the same thing as the influences stated above, but they UNDERSTAND it on a deeper level and a better level than most give credit to the origional influences. To be fair, not many poeple or even Blues enthusiast understand some of those guys and what it is that made thier music what it was. It is the White Stripes understanding of those elements and those players from that time that allowed them to convey that, as well as understanding and making the connection to what poeple like in modern music that is/was the same as what those old Blues players did. That understanding is to me a great credit to the White Stripes, and perhaps even on the level of genius.

I saw Meg Whites home video to me it wasnt anything new or hadnt been done before......oh wait you mean musically. To me you could almost have the VINES the strokes and the white stripes all together at a gig and you'd be bored. It all sounds the same. Yes they all did new stuff but was it spectacular ????? will you sit down in 20 years time and say that he influenced a generation??? On the other side of things and with the Original post in mind that many amps and such little variance in sound was a joke unless he was trying to prove a point that they all sounded the same?

The white stripes did try stuff and do new things but was any of it really ground breaking and monumental...nothing stands out in my mind so I am going to have to say no, not to mention that the sound of Jack Whites 23942904580345 other bands is almost the same. ~shrug~

I really enjoyed the way that girl sung that song, I am a fan of the gruff voice, especially since at the end you can hear her say "Thanks" or something and its a clear sweet voice, that aside I did NOT like the guy singing over top that didn't tickle my fancy, and as previously mentioned the lack of any real in depth riffs or use of scales in the guitar playing made it a little repetitive, by no means am I saying you need to go in depth but to me this song was lacking some emotion. That is all.

Where to start? :rolleyes:

Nothing ground breaking and monumental? I mean, he took solos to a whole new level, how many people brought the Whammy up that high?

Find me another guitarist who can play with that bad of a drummer (sorry Meg) and make it sound amazing?

White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Weather. Me counts three. His sound is different on each one, but related. And he plays drums on the Dead Weather, so I fail to see how he sounds the same... guitar is different from drums. He brought the blues back into the spotlight. In the late 80s, tell me how many kids you could walk up to on the street and ask if they knew who Son House was. The answer would be 0. He brought the blues into my life, and for many others.

I could go on and on, but then you'd call me a fanboy.

All I'm saying is, you obviously have NOT listened to his work [thumbdn]

Regarding the White Stripes:

I disgree heartily that they did anything new regarding blues, blues/rock, or what they did musically. I say that not to give them less credit, but rather to make such a statement or have such a perception takes away from the real deal, and the credit which they deserve (and they both deserve credit, not just Mr. White but Mrs. White as well).

Being a good musician is not just an abilty to play and perform, but a large part of it is an understanding of music. When it comes to the music of the White Stripes, what they are playing is nearly exactly the same thing as the influences stated above, but they UNDERSTAND it on a deeper level and a better level than most give credit to the origional influences. To be fair, not many poeple or even Blues enthusiast understand some of those guys and what it is that made thier music what it was. It is the White Stripes understanding of those elements and those players from that time that allowed them to convey that, as well as understanding and making the connection to what poeple like in modern music that is/was the same as what those old Blues players did. That understanding is to me a great credit to the White Stripes, and perhaps even on the level of genius.

I think we may be arguing a different definition of the same point. That's exactly the way I look at what Jack White is doing (and what SRV did in the 80's). I just look at is at the road to originality (or perhaps the formula for originality). Again, not necessarily Revolutionary, but original and groundbreaking. And I would say Genius, as well.

5 more comments sinse I was typing. Seems many have strong opinions on this.

I thought I might try and clarify a few things. It is fair to say the White Stripes music is origional. They make thier own music and write thier own songs. The "type" of music they are doing is not new, but it is fair to say that the music of the White stripes is just as origional as say, Lightning Hopkins. Same kinda music, but Lightning played his and the Stripes play theirs.

The reason I am pressing the issue so much about this is that if you think what the Stripes did is new, you are missing out in what many of these guys did. Just because you are not hip to it and the first time you heard anything like the White Stripes does not make it new, but it doesn't make you stupid if you haven't heard it before either.

There was plenty of Blues inspired guitarist in the 80's Mark Knoffler, Gary Moore, Jeff Healey and Eric Clapton to name but a few. What Jack White did was change a perception of what in affect was a blues fusion. I have no doubt he is a great guitarist but did he bring about a new Genre?? Personally I think he took the same broad range of sounds that is blues and mixed it with a darker (not Heavier) rock sound than had been done before. But so did Tom Morello, Jimmy Hendrix and Jimmy Page. Get Jack White to sing Bulls on Parade and tell me it doesnt sound like a white stripes original. IMOto me it is his voice projection style on over gained mic that is their style. not their music. BTW I still dont know who Son House is. so maybe less (Jack White) inspiring than one may think. I mean I am a massive Pearl Jam fan. But would I say they did anything huge in popular music. I mean they added huge anthem style solos to the grunge mix they inspired many people to sing and play including myself and have been going for 20 years non stop they also proved you dont need a video clip to be successful. But musically deep down I know they didnt do anything that hadnt been done before. It would be like saying the Beach boys changed surf rock because they used a theromin (once?)

Am I the only one who loves Meg Whites drums? I think she's awesome I wish my drummer played more like her sometimes. I love how she rides the crash or whatever like the whole time. It sounds cool.

Yup.

My drummer, for a lot of the stuff, used to play jazz and is really into metal so his playing is like "too" tight. I wish he would loosen up a bit

I;d go bat **** nuts if I had her drumming all the time though, its all about balance.

But she has great "body mechanics" that happen when she drums, I get lost if you know what I mean [drool]

Archived