Gibson Brands Forums

dating an SG

surphrjt

Alright children, are you done now?

I have an SG (serial number 129710) with a factory shoe horn vibrato (has Gibson name on it but it looks like a Bixby). Any info on dating this instrument?

Very little can be told from the Gibson six-digit serial numbers alone. The 1XX,XXX numbers were used in about ten different years, and nobody (including AND ESPECIALLY, Gibson) has any idea exactly what numbers were used in what years.

So... that brings us to detailed photos and potentiometer codes. Although some guitars from this era may never be attributed to an exact and specific year, photos and pot codes should narrow it down to, at worst, a two year range.

I have an SG (serial number 129710) with a factory shoe horn vibrato (has Gibson name on it but it looks like a Bixby). Any info on dating this instrument?

A serial number of 129710 would fall into about 1963 when Gibson serial numbers spanned from 121000 to 139999. The SG was frist produced in 1961 so it is very possible but for some reason I am doubting it otherwise you got a pretty rare guitar there.

Alright children, are you done now?

Very little can be told from the Gibson six-digit serial numbers alone. The 1XX,XXX numbers were used in about ten different years, and nobody (including AND ESPECIALLY, Gibson) has any idea exactly what numbers were used in what years.

So... that brings us to detailed photos and potentiometer codes. Although some guitars from this era may never be attributed to an exact and specific year, photos and pot codes should narrow it down to, at worst, a two year range.

http://www.gibson.com/Files/downloads/bluebook/GibsonSERIALNUMBERS.pdf

That's got some pretty good info and is where I found 1963

Except those numbers reappeared in the 70's, Larry is correct pics and pot codes would help narrow it down further.

Only from 1970 to 1974 then from 1975-1977 they had an eight digit serial number, and after 1977 they went to the Gibson "standardized" serial numbers. Also a 1970's version would have MADE IN USA stamped into the headstock, only a few guitars before then (mostly from the 50s) had MADE IN USA stamped into the headstock. Using the codes on the potentiometers is an unreliable way to date the guitar unless you are 100% positive the electronics have never been modified or replaced (OP can chime in on that) but I know I give a lot of my humbucker equipped guitars a coil tap for more tone flexibility, but thats just me. Pics speak a million words though, someone will probably know the year it was made by the way the fret wires have been finished and how faded the finish on the guitar is.

Only from 1970 to 1974 then from 1975-1977 they had an eight digit serial number, and after 1977 they went to the Gibson "standardized" serial numbers. Also a 1970's version would have MADE IN USA stamped into the headstock, only a few guitars before then (mostly from the 50s) had MADE IN USA stamped into the headstock. Using the codes on the potentiometers is an unreliable way to date the guitar unless you are 100% positive the electronics have never been modified or replaced (OP can chime in on that) but I know I give a lot of my humbucker equipped guitars a coil tap for more tone flexibility, but thats just me. Pics speak a million words though, someone will probably know the year it was made by the way the fret wires have been finished and how faded the finish on the guitar is.

I can read too. He hasn't given us much info besides a serial number and the fact that it has a bigsby style tailpiece which is why I said photos and pot codes would help.

Ok so if his guitar has a six digit serial number and does not have MADE IN USA stamped into the headstock what does that mean? It wasn't until the 1970 that they started stamping the headstock, chances are if your guitar is not stamped MADE IN USA it was most likely made pre 1970. Then by power of elimination you can deduce that 1963 was the only year to contain a six digit serial number in that range. Also 1962 was the first release of the Gibson Vibrato on an SG model, this model did not have the action of the Bigsby and was quickly replaced in 1963 with the Gibson Deluxe Vibrato (see pic). If I am not mistaken the OP said it was a Gisbon branded vibrato which is what lead me to believe 1963 was the correct year and I stand by it 100% the serial number and Gibson Vibrato place it in the right year, provided its not a stamped headstock, if anywhere on the head it is stamped MADE IN USA then its most certainly made after 1970. I am not trying to be a **** about the situation just trying to get the OP correct information in the fastest way possible, I am more then confident on this and wouldn't try to steer the OP in the wrong direction.

SG_LPbody3.jpg

That's an early 60's SG with a Maestro vibrato (Identical looking to the Gibson)

I dated a Melody, she let me Make her.........[flapper] [flapper] [flapper] .........

I dated a Strat...I called her on my Tele........[scared][crying] ........

I dated an LP, what an easy PICK UP......:unsure:

I dated an SG....She played bingo a lot....all she said was " P-90 "........

I dated a Custom Shop Gibby...What a great top she had.....

I dated an acoustic....she fretted a lot, kinda struck a bad chord with me...

I dated a PRS, she let me slide a lot....Then she barred me...

I dated an Ibanez........Instead of screaming OMG, she screamed EMG.......

I dated an ESP......She kept reading my mind.....

I dated a hollowbody.....She was sad and empty inside....

I dated a BC Rich.......She never gave me positive feedback.....

I dated a LP Special.....She wanted to cutaway and get married......

I dated a Wilshire...She was a pro......

Guest FarnsBarns

I dated a Melody, she let me Make her.........[flapper] [flapper] [flapper] .........

I dated a Strat...I called her on my Tele........[scared][crying] ........

I dated an LP, what an easy PICK UP......:unsure:

I dated an SG....She played bingo a lot....all she said was " P-90 "........

I dated a Custom Shop Gibby...What a great top she had.....

If you've dated all those you'll be wanting a big rack now.

Archived