Gibson Brands Forums

Media bias flip-flopping

ksdaddy

I have a pet peeve about media and this morning it really got tested. I will not name names; all subject matter is phony so it doesn't stir up controversy. I just want to show what I mean. On a certain website that provides email, news, etc., I saw a news blip last night. Here is a fake version of what I read, but with it's "message" intact:

"John Smith, who six months ago was hit by a bus, has recovered 100%. His life is back to normal. Said John, "Turned out to be not so bad."

I get up this morning and the same website had this in their news:

"John Smith, who six months ago was hit by a bus, continues to struggle with the pain and debilitation. It is likely he will never recover fully. Said John, "Owee owee owee, I wish I was dead."

What goes on overnight? Are there frantic phone calls demanding the story be twisted? Is there a shift change and the incoming guy decides to tweak the story to his liking?

I can fully understand the likelihood of one network, website, or newspaper carrying different "versions" of a news story than others, depending on their own political leanings, but this is not the first time I've seen this website slant one way at 10 p.m. and slant in a different direction at 6 a.m.

"Happy" doesn't sell.

"Misery" does.

"If it bleeds, it leads" is still the order of the day.

You got it Chan, sensationalism, and saddness sells.

In Canada we have a program that is considered trusted which slammed cellular providers and villified them, despite the fact that the people in these "cases" where they were "victims" actually produced their own problems.

One guy went to Russsia and his provider told him to use Wi-Fi only. He looked at his phone and saw that wi-fi was "on" so he figured he was good, not taking the time to see if it was connected to anything and he got charged for cellular data roaming.

Another woman was sad because she was an American living in Canada and got divorced from her Canadian husband and didn't want to pay her cancellation fees because she didn't think it was "fair" they were making her pay out the remainder of her contract because she was being deported.

I have a pet peeve about media and this morning it really got tested. I will not name names; all subject matter is phony so it doesn't stir up controversy. I just want to show what I mean. On a certain website that provides email, news, etc., I saw a news blip last night. Here is a fake version of what I read, but with it's "message" intact:

"John Smith, who six months ago was hit by a bus, has recovered 100%. His life is back to normal. Said John, "Turned out to be not so bad."

I get up this morning and the same website had this in their news:

"John Smith, who six months ago was hit by a bus, continues to struggle with the pain and debilitation. It is likely he will never recover fully. Said John, "Owee owee owee, I wish I was dead."

What goes on overnight? Are there frantic phone calls demanding the story be twisted? Is there a shift change and the incoming guy decides to tweak the story to his liking?

I can fully understand the likelihood of one network, website, or newspaper carrying different "versions" of a news story than others, depending on their own political leanings, but this is not the first time I've seen this website slant one way at 10 p.m. and slant in a different direction at 6 a.m.

Why do buses always get the bad rap?

Don't you think this is beautiful?

Here's on of mine:

Westcat_gillig_low_floor_brt.JPG

The one above is a replica, done in 1990. It's a 1947.

As of 2006 the original 1939 "Further" was rescued from the swamp and there were plans to restore it. Haven't heard anything lately.

This is what it looked like after they yanked it out of the muck it had been in for 15 years:

wkrdyd.jpg

Either:

a.) The aggrieved victim was contacted by an ambulance chaser sometime after the previous interview

or

b.) The editor got ahold of the story using the aforementioned postulate with an added equasion:

"If it bleeds it leads. If it don't bleed,... make it." [sneaky]

In my not so humble opinion, there are very few journalists in the world. Mostly, they are misery and disaster reporters or, worse, fabricators.

The one above is a replica, done in 1990. It's a 1947.

As of 2006 the original 1939 "Further" was rescued from the swamp and there were plans to restore it. Haven't heard anything lately.

This is what it looked like after they yanked it out of the muck it had been in for 15 years:

wkrdyd.jpg

Ya think this is the original Further Bus?

Jerry_Garcia.jpg?t=1303312188

I think the original further bus probably had artwork added and painted over at various times so it's hard to tell. The dead giveaway between the original 1939 and the 1947 quasi-replica is the chrome strip over the grille on the '47. The '39's grille tipped back more, where the '47 is more vertical.

1939:

kesey-533.jpg

1947:

bus22.jpg

I think the original further bus probably had artwork added and painted over at various times so it's hard to tell. The dead giveaway between the original 1939 and the 1947 quasi-replica is the chrome strip over the grille on the '47. The '39's grille tipped back more, where the '47 is more vertical.

1939:

kesey-533.jpg

1947:

bus22.jpg

Who'd have thunk?

Archived