Gibson Brands Forums

1970 Epiphone FT-565 12 string

RonG

Found a 1970 epiphone 12 string (FT 565) and the asking price is $200 (cnd.) Any thoughts? Is it even worth $200? I know it's not worth any more than the asking price and certainly not a collectible, however, I'm looking for a cheap 12 string with decent sound, anybody ever play one from that year? Don't want to drive out to where it is to play it. My gut instinct says to spend even a little more on a new one and get a better sound/guitar. Bellow is the original post:

FT-565 Excellente-12 model; circa 1970; a definite 9.5 out of 10, solid rosewood sides, solid rosewood and maple

back, 1.8" neck, never repaired: hard shell case; full bodied sound and sure to please.

I dont think youll see anything like this again, i say go for it.

What do you got to lose except money and some time?

I looked it up on the Price Guide, they were made in Japan, bolt on necks. They go for $300-350 now.

Those can be hit and miss. Make sure the bridge isn't pulling up and the neck isn't bowed. If it has good action and it's that old it was likely well made to start with. Keep in mind that a good new one can be had for less than $300 but it won't have a hard shell case.

Those can be hit and miss. Make sure the bridge isn't pulling up and the neck isn't bowed. If it has good action and it's that old it was likely well made to start with. Keep in mind that a good new one can be had for less than $300 but it won't have a hard shell case.

Yes yes yes !!!! And, 41 year old wood on an acoustic is a good thing...I have a lovely 40 year old Epi electric, and it sounds fantastic.........[thumbup] .

While the price seems reasonable for this model there are currently extenuating circumstances in the entry level 12 string market. Musician's currently lists an Epiphone DR212 for $169.00.

If the FT is playable, (check action and security of the neck attachment) I'd say it would be a fair price. But with the current MF offering, it does make the decision a tough one.

Although "1970" is not that far off, the FT565 is definitely no older than 1972. Just so you have all the facts, it was not made in Kalamazoo, which 1970 would suggest. Matsumoku of Japan made this model. 1972 - 1977 or so. Some of the early 6 strings had neck issues, but this one had a different neck set up with a heel. Being the top of the line Epiphone of this era, it would not have had the neck problems.

And the FT565 has the skunk stripe back. Way Cool. [thumbup]

Archived