Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone by Gibson

brotherbootsie

I'm a new member... just joined a day or so ago. I found this forum as I was doing diligence on a purchase I have just made. According to database info found on the web and info on this site, my new guitar is a 1971 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton. I was thrilled to find it as it is in great shape. I'll try to get some pics for y'all to check out.

Back in the 70's, I traveled the west coast playing western swing and alt country music with a 7-piece band. At that time I had a sweet Riviera, wired in stereo, which I ran into two Fender twins with JBL D120's... one amp for each pickup! Very cool sound, lots of headroom, and volume to spare. Those were the days.

Now? I do a lot of recording on wood-shedding/learning on the side as I support myself as a potter... www.clayrabbit.com . But a year ago I entered the slide guitar world with a new ceramic product... Paloma Stone Slides, www.stoneslides.com .

I have about eight guitars now and have recently grabbed a couple of lap steels, a modified Recording King 6 stringer and an 8 stringer I just had Bob Allen of "Music on the Mountain" build for me. But now that I have this Epi, I might have to spend a bunch of time becoming acquainted with this sweetheart.

I look forward to being a member of this Forum.

Hi

and welcome here !

AFAIK the "Epiphone by Gibson" made Sheratons only have been made around '86-'89

if you show the pics, the serial# will tell us

This is correct. All "Epiphone By Gibson" guitars were manufactured from 1986-1989. I'm pretty sure that there were no Sheratons in the 1970's. According to Blue Book, they discontinued the Sherry in 1970 and resumed production in 1980.

This is correct. All "Epiphone By Gibson" guitars were manufactured from 1986-1989. I'm pretty sure that there were no Sheratons in the 1970's. According to Blue Book, they discontinued the Sherry in 1970 and resumed production in 1980.

This site... http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx dates the guitar as a 1971 when I enter the serial number, it states that it was made in Korea in January, 1971 and was production number 1985. Guitardaterproject seems to be pretty adamant about their "correctness"

???

This site... http://www.guitardat...g/epiphone.aspx dates the guitar as a 1971 when I enter the serial number, it states that it was made in Korea in January, 1971 and was production number 1985. Guitardaterproject seems to be pretty adamant about their "correctness"

???

Guitar dater is often incorrect. I can gaurantee that no Epiphones were made in Korea in the 1970's. Epiphone moved to Korea in 1982. As a matter of fact, Epiphone had only begun production in Japan in 1970. Your guitar is definitely Korean with the "Epi By Gibson" inlay. What is the serial number?

I just did a little reading up and it appears that the original epiphone sheratons were built at kalamazoo until very early 1971....could it be [razz]

i miss-read, they were in production till 1970 but still available to buy until early 71.

i miss-read, they were in production till 1970 but still available to buy until early 71.

The headstock shape will determine whether it is a K-zoo or Korean, for sure. The koreans have the modern cut-corner peg head. The K-zoos and Japanese guitars will have the paddle-type headsock.

Also, I'm not sure about the hollow bodies, but with the solid body guitars, the logo font will somewhat indicate the year as well. The pic Pete posted would be a first-run (1986) Epi by Gibson if it were a solid body. Like I said, I'm not sure if that would ring true for the hollow body gits.

The headstock shape will determine whether it is a K-zoo or Korean, for sure. The koreans have the modern cut-corner peg head. The K-zoos and Japanese guitars will have the paddle-type headsock.

Also, I'm not sure about the hollow bodies, but with the solid body guitars, the logo font will somewhat indicate the year as well. The pic Pete posted would be a first-run (1986) Epi by Gibson if it were a solid body. Like I said, I'm not sure if that would ring true for the hollow body gits.

Here is the headstock photo...

try to attach this photo again...

That is a 1987 or 88 Korean. It is possible that it could be a 1986, as I'm not sure how long they used the other two logos for in 1986. I have a late 1986 S-500 with the modern logo.

Correction to mine and Pete's info: The Epi by Gibson logos were 1986-1988. 1989 was the first year without the "by Gibson" part of the logo.

Since you dont want to give up the serial (cant blame you), what is the first number?

You sure know your stuff [thumbup]

You sure know your stuff [thumbup]

In some areas, yes. [biggrin] I know considerably less about the post Korean guitars. My specialty is the Strats and oddball guitars. I'm trying to learn more about the Matsumoku stuff, but there is hardly any info out there.

• 1 month later...

For Sale!

I bought this guitar not too long ago and have really enjoyed showing it off and playing it with a bunch of folks I've made music with over the past 30 some-odd years. She sounds great and plays great! But like most folks these days, my budget for guitar buying is rather limited and I have been offered a fine old resophonic guitar to purchase and I must sell one of my instruments to get it. So the Epi must go!

I traded another guitar I owned for this one so I really have no idea concerning its current value... and from previous posts on this forum, the date is in doubt as well. I am posting photos to help someone establish a value and date for me... as well as introduce the guitar as available for purchase.

I have taken several photos and will be happy to make them available through personal email as the file size restrictions prohibit me from posting them all here.

Thanks for your help and interest.

Jay

post-32800-039226000 1308850401_thumb.jpg

post-32800-046704000 1308850434_thumb.jpg

Archived