Gibson Brands Forums

It seems I've reached an impass

Kimbabig

WIth all the talk of fingerpicking I wanted to join, but it seems that I use my right hand for a lot of tapping, and if I grew those fingernails out it could scratch the fretboard and mess with my playing. Jaxson mentioned something about Alaskan Fingerpicks, can I keep my fingernails short enough if I wear those?

That's funny you mention it Damian, I've been considering getting my hair cut for the hot summer. When I've been telling my friends about it I've been getting a lot of supporters and some people who almost shriek when I mention it. I'll see what happens.

IDK. Growing ones fingernails for the sole purpose of playing an instrument seems to me like something reserved for people whose full-time job is playing an instrument. Personally, long fingernails on men creep me out, so I would never do that myself. Plus, I work in a machine shop, so long nails wouldn't be a good idea for me anyway.

Fingertips work fine for my playing, even if it's not as loud or sharp sounding. If you really need that extra volume and sharp attack I suggest those pick that fit on your fingertips like rings.

Keep us updated on your hair...You've had it long for some time......I finally cut mine in 2006, I had to; juries don't like long haired men....

Don't think I'll grow it back...The prob is the middle growing period....Too short to ponytail, blah blah blah...

Try those picks out; I'm going to....Fingerpicking, takes effort to learn...Hmmm....

Archived