Gibson Brands Forums

1956 Goldtop

cdh

Hi there everyone I'm looking sell my 56 Goldtop.I'm looking to get it looked at to tell me what its worth?I don't want to sell it but I never play it.Need to pay some bills.I live N.C. some where close would be nice.

I looked at the ebay.They look like most of them are in bad shape.Some realy look green.Do they really sell for that?I've e-mailed some sellers to buy mine but they just try to lowball me.I would like to sell to someone who loves the guitar & keep it & take care of it.Can someone steer me I the right way.E-mail me at hdlmj@yahoo.com any help is better then no help.Thank for reading.

You have to look for the ones that actually sold on Ebay.

I found none on a search for completed auctions.

Call Gruhn's... or take it to the Pawn Stars guys in Vegas.... I hear they know a guy....

Good Luck!

If it is a REAL actual '56, it will be worth quite a bit more than just what somebody might want for a "player" guitar. (NOT that it shouldn't be played).

A guitar that is certainly worth having it PROFFESIONALLY appraised as the amount of money it COULD bring is substantial as well as it's place in history to the Gibson world.

Simply checking EBAY or trying to see what someone will pay is truly insufficient in this case. You either need to educate yourself on this guitar to a great degree, educate yourself on the market for collectable vintage guitars, or get it from someone who is.

For the value that that guitar has (if we are talking about an actual 1956 goldtop Les Paul) no one is going to do that over the internet from a few pics or over the phone. At least not an honest professional.

What Stein says is basically fact. Ebay is only a guage to see what the market will bear. To TRULY know the value, you need to have it appraised.

Hence the recomendations to call Gruhn's. Anyone who knows anything about guitars recognizes that name and what it implies.

Ebay is only a guage to see what the market will bear.

EXCUSE ME, just what other gauge do you think there is? This is REALITY people, learn to live with it. I can give you the cell phone numbers a half a dozen "vintage guitar dealers" (including George Gruhn, Ed Sellig, Dave Rodgers, Dave Hinson, etc) that will be grateful to take 15% TO 20% off those numbers to sell it for you.

YES, you would probably be better selling it through a "vintage guitar dealer", but you have to be prepared to pay the piper.

And the first question they're going to ask you is "has the headstock been broken"?

AND THE ANSWER IS.........

EXCUSE ME, just what other gauge do you think there is? This is REALITY people, learn to live with it. I can give you the cell phone numbers a half a dozen "vintage guitar dealers" (including George Gruhn, Ed Sellig, Dave Rodgers, Dave Hinson, etc) that will be grateful to take 15% TO 20% off those numbers to sell it for you.

YES, you would probably be better selling it through a "vintage guitar dealer", but you have to be prepared to pay the piper.

And the first question they're going to ask you is "has the headstock been broken"?

AND THE ANSWER IS.........

Easy now. We all here know you are more expert than most (not being sarcastic like it may sound) but I think you may be a little off track as far as this situation is concerned.

The question IS how much is it worth? When it comes to certain guitars, EBAY can only be of use to someone who KNOWS what it is he is looking at. Even your example of the headstock being broken or not, is not really something you can learn from EBAY.

Being SOMEWHAT specific, that guitar could be worth anything from 5500 to 45,000 depending on MANY things. Perhaps even more? Heck, it could not even BE an actual '56.

While EBAY does tell you accurately what the MARKET does for a lot of things, it does NOT track various conditions that the peices were in nor how origional they were. If you are knowledgeable in vintage guitars, you CAN use it to determine values, but if you are not knowledgable, it is only more misleading.

The real suggestion(s) are to seek appraisals from qualified poeple. Then one can set about the business of who to sell it to and for how much.

Yes it the real thing said the person at Gibson be the#.and no it has not been broken.Im just looking for an outlet to sell it to more $ in my pocket not someones else.Thank

If you're close to Greensboro, NC there are a couple of options - The music Barn on Chapman Street, near the colliseum complex deals in vintage guitars and the owner is very knowledgeable. Or you could contact my boss, Bob Rigaud - Thirty years experience as a luthier and Gibon Repair depot - he can tell you about what you could expect to get for your beauty, maybe even make you an offer.

If you're interested contact him at: info@rgmusic.com

I can tell you that a 56 Gold top is worth a considerable amount but condition and originality seems to be the greatest factor of how considerable that amount may be.

Bob

I looked at the ebay.They look like most of them are in bad shape.Some realy look green.Do they really sell for that?I've e-mailed some sellers to buy mine but they just try to lowball me.I would like to sell to someone who loves the guitar & keep it & take care of it.Can someone steer me I the right way.E-mail me at hdlmj@yahoo.com any help is better then no help.Thank for reading.

Do you have an idea what you think it is worth or what you are hoping to get?

This site does have a section for selling and buying, why not list it there? If you really want to use the resources of this site to the fullest, you should post some pics. The advantage of having a number of poeple see it and try to give you advise would at least protect you somewhat in that if someone tries to lie to you, there would likely be someone to dispute them.

Easy now. We all here know you are more expert than most (not being sarcastic like it may sound) but I think you may be a little off track as far as this situation is concerned.

The question IS how much is it worth? When it comes to certain guitars, EBAY can only be of use to someone who KNOWS what it is he is looking at. Even your example of the headstock being broken or not, is not really something you can learn from EBAY.

Being SOMEWHAT specific, that guitar could be worth anything from 5500 to 45,000 depending on MANY things. Perhaps even more? Heck, it could not even BE an actual '56.

While EBAY does tell you accurately what the MARKET does for a lot of things, it does NOT track various conditions that the peices were in nor how origional they were. If you are knowledgeable in vintage guitars, you CAN use it to determine values, but if you are not knowledgable, it is only more misleading.

The real suggestion(s) are to seek appraisals from qualified poeple. Then one can set about the business of who to sell it to and for how much.

I've noticed from buying and selling that EBay sellers look to get the top end amount when it comes to musical instruments (other stuff I get cheap and worthwhile prices on Ebay) for reality based local worth I put things up on and buy things off of Craigs List. I imagine should I have a REAL FIND $$$ I would find a musical instrument auction house that attracts REAL BUYERS and set a realist starting point/reserve using the best intel available including whatever I could glean off of Ebay as per pricing.

Yes it the real thing said the person at Gibson be the#.and no it has not been broken.Im just looking for an outlet to sell it to more $ in my pocket not someones else.Thank

PS why do you sound Chinese (not that there is anything wrong with that?-) You're not trying to sell one of those cheap fake Chinese knock offs are you?

PS why do you sound Chinese (not that there is anything wrong with that?-) You're not trying to sell one of those cheap fake Chinese knock offs are you?

No its not china brand.and you're right I should have looked at it before posting that.When I did read it just now I got a laugh out of it too.

If you're close to Greensboro, NC there are a couple of options - The music Barn on Chapman Street, near the colliseum complex deals in vintage guitars and the owner is very knowledgeable. Or you could contact my boss, Bob Rigaud - Thirty years experience as a luthier and Gibon Repair depot - he can tell you about what you could expect to get for your beauty, maybe even make you an offer.

If you're interested contact him at: info@rgmusic.com

I can tell you that a 56 Gold top is worth a considerable amount but condition and originality seems to be the greatest factor of how considerable that amount may be.

Bob

I emailed them two day ago.no response.do you work there?

No its not china brand.and you're right I should have looked at it before posting that.When I did read it just now I got a laugh out of it too.

just have a feeling that this guy is pedaling a FAKE. Or a Epiphone 56 GT. Sorry, I'm just less than convinced.

just have a feeling that this guy is pedaling a FAKE. Or a Epiphone 56 GT. Sorry, I'm just less than convinced.

How could it be a fake, the O.P.s location is listed as USA ???? eusa_whistle.gif:-$ [-(:^o#-o:-k :o ....

How about send me an e-mail at hdlmj@yahoo.com I'll send you pic.I live in N.C.That North Carolina and it in the USA for the smart tail people.Yall must have been burnt bad before or something.SMILE LIFE TO SHORT.

How about send me an e-mail at hdlmj@yahoo.com I'll send you pic.I live in N.C.That North Carolina and it in the USA for the smart tail people.Yall must have been burnt bad before or something.SMILE LIFE TO SHORT.

OK so he's a newbee and probably doesn't know how to post pics here yet... Lets cut him some slack. Somebody post a link to the posting photos instructions and lets see what he come up with....

Open the picture in a program like paint, click save as, name the file and then were it says "Save as type" default will probably be 24-bit BMP which is a Bitmap file (the larger ones) select JPEG from the drop down menu and save it as one of them it will decrease the file size dramatically.

Archived