Gibson Brands Forums

Hey Joe

Tman5293

I have yet another cover for you guys! I'm sure you can easily guess what song it is based on the thread title. I really love this song. Probably in my top five favorite songs of all time. Not to mention Jimi Hendrix is my favorite guitarist of all time. Hope I made him proud with this one.

Sound Cloud:

Constructive criticism is always welcome. Enjoy!

Did I hear some fuzz? Very nice super accurate hendrix tone. You're definitely a throwback. Very nice work. You also have a swet feel! The only thing I would tell you is to keep working on your rhythm timing, other than that, it was tasty! Thanks for sharing.

Did I hear some fuzz? Very nice super accurate hendrix tone. You're definitely a throwback. Very nice work. You also have a swet feel! The only thing I would tell you is to keep working on your rhythm timing, other than that, it was tasty! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you sir! msp_thumbup.gif I didn't use any fuzz or any pedals at all for that matter. I used the distortion on my DeVille.

I listened. It is nice to hear something that is ENJOYABLE to listen to. It was worth leaving on for the whole thing rather than just getting a taste.

I'm going to echo Wak's remarks about the timing. Playing along with a track is a lot like a band, in that playing solo we don't realize or sense when we miss a beat. I TOTALLY get that when we are playing along and miss something, it can cause us to be rushed trying to get the notes out or mess us up even more trying to "catch up" or not miss a beat or a note.

Playing with others or even playing with backing tracks more will fix it, but if you want to learn it faster, perhaps learning to count and practicing counting will do it even more.

Having said that, your rhythm playing, and your natural "feel" for it is excellent. The way you strummed the chords and went from one to the next I think I liked better than the Hendrix version.

I listened. It is nice to hear something that is ENJOYABLE to listen to. It was worth leaving on for the whole thing rather than just getting a taste.

I'm going to echo Wak's remarks about the timing. Playing along with a track is a lot like a band, in that playing solo we don't realize or sense when we miss a beat. I TOTALLY get that when we are playing along and miss something, it can cause us to be rushed trying to get the notes out or mess us up even more trying to "catch up" or not miss a beat or a note.

Playing with others or even playing with backing tracks more will fix it, but if you want to learn it faster, perhaps learning to count and practicing counting will do it even more.

Having said that, your rhythm playing, and your natural "feel" for it is excellent. The way you strummed the chords and went from one to the next I think I liked better than the Hendrix version.

Thanks! msp_thumbup.gif Just a suggestion, but maybe you should go take a listen to the Hendrix version again. His is way better than mine! msp_flapper.gif

I uploaded it on soundcloud so now you guys can listen to it.

Sound Cloud rocks..........Hmmmm, ya want my 'secret' S.C. name where I hide my crappy demos ??

Hey, it sounds GREAT!! lovin it.

So I have a dumb question--

did you notice, since you covered "Whole Lotta Love" too -- that that famous riff started out in Hendrix's Hey Joe?!

(or did it come from somewhere even earlier...)

Whaddaya think, Jimmy figured this other Jimi wasn't doing all that much with it?? ROFL

I dunno if you can copyright a riff anyways -- but once I heard that connection, I can't NOT hear it now [biggrin]

Very curious if you'd say playing it is, or isn't, exactly the same figure??

It was good!!

Like WahKeen said, I thought there was some fuzz..but who cares, a great track!! [thumbup]

Being a rhythm guitarist myself, I've gotta say you have a sixth sense for chord changes...smooth strumming, I liked it!!

Keep up the good work mate!! [thumbup]

It was good!!

Like WahKeen said, I thought there was some fuzz..but who cares, a great track!! [thumbup]

Being a rhythm guitarist myself, I've gotta say you have a sixth sense for chord changes...smooth strumming, I liked it!!

Keep up the good work mate!! [thumbup]

See. Told ya.

Your technique is great, but your solo didn't jive with the rhythm all the time. Listen to the music behind you and try to complement it with your solo. You want to go with the rhythm of the song, so it flows and draws you in. That beings said you had some killer licks in there that I wouldn't mind picking up. Real cool cover, keep it up. When PV starts working again I'll give the rest of your stuff a listen.

Your technique is great, but your solo didn't jive with the rhythm all the time. Listen to the music behind you and try to complement it with your solo. You want to go with the rhythm of the song, so it flows and draws you in. That beings said you had some killer licks in there that I wouldn't mind picking up. Real cool cover, keep it up. When PV starts working again I'll give the rest of your stuff a listen.

Thanks for the words of advice. msp_thumbup.gif

You can actually listen to all my stuff on sound cloud. I've moved all my music there and wont be using pure volume anymore. To many problems with that site.

Why, Yes. Yes we would.

ahem.......... he let me post that link in my "new member layla68" thread.... (well subversively pretty much asked me to) ... it's buried in there somewhere on page 1 or 2..... (lemme know if you'd rather I edit it back out, D, and I will) anyway it's not entirely a secret [biggrin]

AND they're not as lame as he thinks, either [thumbup]

Good move to SoundCloud - it's a GREAT site - user-friendly too. No problems with it so far whatsoever.

Much more functional and cool than SoundClick....... many more users.

mine: follow "LindaOfficial" (same as my Twitter... Skype... etc)

Linda

Great Job on this one Tman, and I'm glad you moved to the cloud. I really hate giving constructive criticism it makes me feel like a hypocritical d!ck, but I have to agree on the timing.

True story. I think we can all agree that the only qualification for giving advise on where someone could improve is if we have the same issues ourselves.

Even Eric Johnson has occasion to ask opinions. Yea, if one was going to take lessons, it would be better to take them from him than from someone who sucks, but it doesn't also mean that EJ asking for opinions and getting them is no less valid. Nothing wrong with helping a more talented bro be better than and go further than we ourselves could be either, if that is the case.

Where have you been ???? I was worried....I called your Mom and everything !!!!!!! [unsure] :unsure: [crying][scared][blink] .....

Thanks Damian! Been really crazy busy at work with change in status. Also lost a friend a month ago and spent that last month writing a song for her family.

Cheers, I'll PM you. Don't want to de - rail the other Tman.

Archived