Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD- 1994 Joe Pass VS

mud guy

As a follow on from an earlier "What to do thread"...here's my latest arrival. A 1994 Joe Pass (korea,samick plant). I was trying to sell my PRS SE on kijiji and to offset some of the cost of the Elite LP that arrived last week (and to address the odd idea that my wife has that I do not need more than 3 electric guitars...).

The guitar had 12 flatwounds on that were pretty mellow but on their last legs, so I decided to try 12 rounds (d'addarios) to see what they would be like. Action and intonation are excellent, but the switch/pots seem a bit flaky (scratchy, cut out a bit). I pulled out the pickup switch last night and blew some air to see if that would help and it did, but I am likely looking at new switch/pots in the near future. I'll be soliciting help from forumites when I get around to replacing these components. Here are some pics:

Front

2011-05-12082106.jpg

Almost as pretty from behind

2011-05-12082219.jpg

Not much wear for a 17 year old guitar!

2011-05-12082130.jpg

Wow, that's a beaut, I'm jealous! Mojotone can make you a whole new wiring harness with Switchcraft switch and jack, CTS pots, cloth wire, caps of your choice, the whole bit.

I have a few of these assemblies and they are fantastically well made and improve pickup clarity significantly.

http://www.mojotone....ed-gibson-style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsHQKtU3zk8

Extremely gorgeous guitar Muddy, in fantastic condition too, you must be very pleased. HNGD

Regarding blowing air onto pickup selector switch, that'll do little but to expel the residual dust, the contact surfaces will still be tarnished, I'd recommend you try some contact cleaner and work the switch back and forth at the same time (same with the pots), this will be more likely to clean up the contact surfaces much better.

Extremely gorgeous guitar Muddy, in fantastic condition too, you must be very pleased. HNGD

Regarding blowing air onto pickup selector switch, that'll do little but to expel the residual dust, the contact surfaces will still be tarnished, I'd recommend you try some contact cleaner and work the switch back and forth at the same time (same with the pots), this will be more likely to clean up the contact surfaces much better.

Beautiful and in great shape [thumbup] (archtops seem to fair better over the years than SB's---rarely see a really beat up one)! I also have a JP from the Peerless factory with flatwounds....ENJOY!

Wow, that's a beaut, I'm jealous! Mojotone can make you a whole new wiring harness with Switchcraft switch and jack, CTS pots, cloth wire, caps of your choice, the whole bit.

I have a few of these assemblies and they are fantastically well made and improve pickup clarity significantly.

Thanks...Good to know about the assemblies. I wonder how much a hassle shipping to Canada would be...

Thanks...It has one of those closed-back toggle switches...I don't know, I screwed around with it a bit last night, and today when I tried it out, the selector worked fine and even the pots were not noticeably cracking. I don't think it had been played in a while (the guy I bought it from also owns a Gibson Byrdland), so there is likely some tarnishing/dust buildup, as you mentioned.

Beautiful and in great shape [thumbup] (archtops seem to fair better over the years than SB's---rarely see a really beat up one)! I also have a JP from the Peerless factory with flatwounds....ENJOY!

Hey Musicmaker...good to join the club. The only thing that bugs me about the guitar is the signature on the pickguard!

Hey Musicmaker...good to join the club. The only thing that bugs me about the guitar is the signature on the pickguard!

I'd remove the PG anyway, just put it aside somewhere, archtops don't really need them, there's usually a good clearance between the strings and the top of the body because of the arching top anyway, they are just put there for show I think, which is strange because I think they look better without them, especially on a guitar with such a beautifully figured top, it seems a shame to hide it.

I was the first person to order a harness from David at Mojotone, for my JP and through the work on that guitar he went on to use the template from my measurements to offer the service to other JP owners.

David is a fantastic guy, he was so helpful, great to see he took up on the need and his offering the harness to others on the Mojotone website.

Beautiful guitar Mud Guy, it will feel and sound like a far more expensive guitar with a new SOLID harness.

Try the stock pups with the new harness and give them a chance before moving further.

I find the thing to combat on the JP is the BOOMY bass..... enjoy that beauty, JP's are great guitars.

I was the first person to order a harness from David at Mojotone, for my JP and through the work on that guitar he went on to use the template from my measurements to offer the service to other JP owners.

David is a fantastic guy, he was so helpful, great to see he took up on the need and his offering the harness to others on the Mojotone website.

Beautiful guitar Mud Guy, it will feel and sound like a far more expensive guitar with a new SOLID harness.

Try the stock pups with the new harness and give them a chance before moving further.

I find the thing to combat on the JP is the BOOMY bass..... enjoy that beauty, JP's are great guitars.

+1. I ordered my Harness from Mojotone for my Epi 175, and David had it to me within 2 days. Awesome service and quality.Oh Yea, congrats Mud Guy on the beautiful aquisition. Sweet lookin' lady!! [thumbup][thumbup][thumbup]

Mojotone can make you a whole new wiring harness with Switchcraft switch and jack, CTS pots, cloth wire, caps of your choice, the whole bit.

+1. I ordered my Harness from Mojotone for my Epi 175, and David had it to me within 2 days. Awesome service and quality.

Thanks for the Mojotone lead guys, I ordered a wiring harness this morning.

-Cal

Wow, that's nice! I've never seen those in anything but Natural, and it's in fantastic shape for a 90's guitar! Are those J.P.'s full hollow or semi? Congratsi!

Thanks Matiac! It's full hollow, a real beast. It's "meant" for jazz, but man it sounds nice with just a little bit of break up.

Archived