Gibson Brands Forums

Now I remember

Silenced Fred

I don't know? I have several boss pedals always found them solid as a tank, affordable and most importantly reliable (huge deal if you're a regular gigging musician).

I could always dial in whatever tone I needed to get the job done.msp_thumbup.gif

You young whipper snappers keep on searching for that ever elusive tone. msp_flapper.gif

That's the thing with BOSS pedals ain't it? I mean, there is more to reliability than just not breaking, like always having workable sounds and not having a lot of those noise and compatability issues.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha I was just kidding but yeah it's cool to have a variety of fuzz. It's pointless to have overlapping pedals and pedals that you don't use much though. Might as well not have a muff and a swollen pickle or a fuzz factory that you don't use.

I'm just trying to streamline my board to all pedals that I absolutely love and use all the time. I'm gettin there

Yeah, the Shin Ei and FuzzRite are kinda close, so I have to decide on those two, but I'm trying to work down my board. I have already been selling all of the pedals I don't use

That's the thing with BOSS pedals ain't it? I mean, there is more to reliability than just not breaking, like always having workable sounds and not having a lot of those noise and compatability issues.

Exactly. There is a lot more to a pedal than it does not break. For me it has to have character and be musical; two qualities I have never found with Boss pedals. Hell, swapped out my old TU-2 for a Polytune earlier this year. So happy to be free of that tone killer.

Yeah, the Shin Ei and FuzzRite are kinda close, so I have to decide on those two, but I'm trying to work down my board. I have already been selling all of the pedals I don't use

The FuzzRite is freak on the squares Ron Asheton approved, so you know where my vote is.

The FuzzRite is freak on the squares Ron Asheton approved, so you know where my vote is.

That's where I'm leaning towards at the moment.

Back to Boss pedals, their claim to fame is durability. Also, the guy at Guitar Center, also tries to get me to buy Boss stuff by saying parts are readily available for fixing. That doesn't strike warm feelings into my heart, true or not. I have never heard anyone brag about how Boss has te best tone, its all durability. It's like arguing to Pc users about Macs... "well I can throw my PC out a window and it will still work" is the response I get, but whatever

handmade pedal clones here I come!

lol I know we've been over this before but yeah the durability of boss pedals is stupidly overrated. I don't understand why people always say they're so durable. My guess is that it's because that's what they've been told so many times. I think boss planted this seed themselves.

There are some cool boss pedals though. They're not all bad.

By the way fred I just scored a Rythym & Denotation (Ge) Foxx Tone Machine clone for $50.

I've wanted a Tone Machine clone forever. I figured you can barely build one for $50 let alone buy a nice clone. lol now I have three pedals in the mail. I should change my name to fuzzy-t-123. (but I won't)

By the way fred I just scored a Rythym & Denotation (Ge) Foxx Tone Machine clone for $50.

I've wanted a Tone Machine clone forever. I figured you can barely build one for $50 let alone buy a nice clone. lol now I have three pedals in the mail. I should change my name to fuzzy-t-123. (but I won't)

Damn you! I need more moneys

Ive seen boss pedeals go through some tough **** and still work, they are pretty ****ing tough.

Did you not read this thread? Like at all? No body is arguing that Boss pedals are durable (ok, maybe Dub, but most pedals are pretty durable) but its not about durability, I care about tone. I don't care if I can drop it from a 5 story building, if it still sounds like ****, I don't want it

Fuzzy would turn himself into a fuzz box if he could. And there are already a few clones of him here.

I am just waiting for the boutique version to come out.

Fuzzy would turn himself into a fuzz box if he could. And there are already a few clones of him here.

I am just waiting for the boutique version to come out.

Clones? Where? [confused]

The boutique version will be out in the Fall, added boost knob and more gain on tap

I'm not saying that they're not durable. I'd say they're durability is pretty average. It is in no way spectacular or noteworthy though IMO.

Actually, while I see where you are coming from and why you think that, you might not know the whole story.

Cookieman and Searcy are not spring chickens. Nor am I. That green phaser mentioned is problably older than a lotta guys here. As are a lot of boss pedals. How many pedals (and pedal brands) are there that have worked for 30 years reliably? NONE. Not EH (solder joints, heated boards) MXR (crumbling foam, burnt components)Ibanez (switches on 9 series, switches AND jacks on 10 series) DOD (switches can last only a year). Am I missing any?

While I dig that some of you guys find a lot of old pedals worth fixing, If you go back in time, when a lot of these same pedals went down, we tossed them and bought another. Not just cause you could, but if a pedal was 5 years old, it was old and why chance it? Seriously and truthfully, a boss pedals just didn't get tossed. So, like maybe 7-8 years ago before there was anything better, There was a LOT of poeple with pedalboards where the only "old" ones were boss.

Good point. I understand that and took that into consideration.

At one point, I'm sure boss pedals were in fact the most durable but that is not the case anymore.

Again, I'm not saying they're unreliable (although the switches are kinda unreliable IMO) I'm just saying the durability is way overrated.

All I'm saying is that we are beating a dead horse. My post said that Boss pedals suck (which they do) and I never said they weren't reliable. Whoever brought up reliability is a troll and a thread derailer and should be punished by death

I don't always hate pedals, but when I do, I hate Boss.

Sorry Fred I think I was the derailing troll.

I guarantee you can find at least one boss pedal that you dig though. I mean they generally don't do anything for me but they have a few great pedals for sure.

I'm sure they do. I just haven't found it yet.

Death to you if you were the derailing troll, but I get your guitars and pedal board

WE INTERRUPT THIS THREAD DERAILMENT TO BRING YOU AN EXCERPT FROM OUR ORIGIONAL POSTER REGARDING THE BOSS PEDALS:

I can see where a guy would say the Boss OD sucks. It only does one sound, the adjustments don't do much, and it doesn't really serve a lot of purpose. One sound, on or off, the hallmark tone of Boss distortions. And not very dynamic.

But, Boss makes a lot more than just distortions. What about the chorus? Oh, the delay padals? Some of those are the BEST that you can do, but a lot of poeple don't even take the chance to compare them and the different types Boss makes, because they don't expect them to be as good as others because their distortion pedals suck.

NOW, BACK TO YOUR SCHEDULED TOPIC DERAILMENT ABOUT FUZZ PEDALS.

Archived