Gibson Brands Forums

Specs missing fom the main website

ParlourMan

Morning,

So in my quest to find my next acoustic and looking to be fairly settled on the Hummingbird TV model and contemplating an order soon, I got news that a bass playing mate had his friend through to visit him and he had a 2010 J-200 with him, did I fancy coming round to try it... Yes I do fancy, thank you very much. Shoes on, out the door and straight to my mates place.

I tried what I'm told was a November 2010 made j-200 standard. Absolutely lovely guitar, great sound, not too chest-beater in the volume department, but not muted or muddy, it was also a lot comfier to play than what I remembered of this body shape. Within 10 minutes of checking for dead spots, a bit of strumming, a bit of picking I was of the mind that had I walked into a shop and tried this I would most likely have said 'too good to pass up or miss out' and bought the guitar.

With that in mind I thought perhaps I should try a few extra models I hadn't considered thus far, but decided to lookup the specs sheet to see if there was anything noticeably different to what I have currently that would explain the "I want it" factor and there's no specs sheet on the Gibson site for a standard j-200. Surely this is still considered a flagship model outside of special or vintage clone lines? No specs sheet.... pretty poor.

Anyway, once again each time I get closer to pulling the trigger something else comes along. So, can anyone tell me some general specs of this model if you have a recent one, nut width string-spacing, scale length etc etc...

Cheers in advance.

Sunburst EA. Yeah, for some reason I haven't been drawn to them apart from the classic good looks... never thought twice about it. When I seen it it was proper gorgeous, lovely fit & finish too. Perhaps I was just always against maple acoustics... but it was an excellent sounding guitar, played really well, definitely had an older feel than a guitar that is only a few months old (and it was a standard, not a TV).

Good enough to make me want one there and then..... so I'll mull it over a few days to see if it sticks in my mind.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Ive never been a maple man with the excpetion of a good J-200. I was really smitten by a J-200 studio some couple months ago when it was in the shop. It had fantastic bass, response and warmth ... Im glad it sold before I got any further ideas ... :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's messed with my mind all night & day.... had it been for sale, I would have bought it there and then and thought about the hummingbird a lot further down the line. No questions asked. That's how much I liked it. However, I've always been sceptical on maple and the J200 seems to be one of the models even 'Gibson guys' say has the most variance etc etc....

If I bought the hummingbird and it was all that I expected (or more) than I'd probably settle down and forget about the j200, perhaps I'll need a few days so it's not so fresh in my mind. Absolute stunner though, great looks, not too heavy for such a large guitar and the sweetest sound.

What spec is it that you are looking for. if there is somethin specific you are looking for I might be able to help.

JM

Just to confirm that the new ones are:

1.725 nut width?

and confirm that it's a long scale 25.5?

Neck profile? (Slim 60's Vs a nice handful)

string spacing at the bridge?

I've seen some chat that claimed the newer ones since 2007-2008 are a little more beefy on the neck than the earlier Bozeman years, I would hope that to be true as the one I tried didn't have a very slim profile, it was a nice handful, not quite 50's thick, but definitely not a skinny neck. If so, this would be perfect for me as I dislike the really thin/slim necks.

I think the specs you mentioned (nut width, scale length) are correct. My 2010 SJ-200TV has a fairly hefty neck that I find very comfortable. I'm not sure if the Standard has the same neck profile. It should have a Sitka spruce top, maple back and sides, hand scalloped braces, crown inlays on an ebony board, ebony bridge with 4 pearl bands, truss rod cover with narrow white border and "Standard" in white script lettering. Tuners should be Grovers with metal buttons, I believe. Not sure of other details but I think the ones I've described are correct (someone please correct anything I've gotten wrong). These are pretty darn nice guitars and I find them much more comfortable to play than a dreadnought. They can vary from example to example, of course.

J-200 Standard

Nut 1.725

Bridge 2.165

Long Scale 25.5

We have been using the same neck profile since 1996.

Prior to that the necks were much larger. Each neck is slightly different as they are sanded by hand which will make each one different.

I hope that this has helped answer any questions that you have had. if i can be of further help please let me know.

All the best

Jeremy

Excellent. Many thanks for taking the time to help me out.

J-200 Standard

Nut 1.725

Bridge 2.165

Long Scale 25.5

We have been using the same neck profile since 1996.

Prior to that the necks were much larger. Each neck is slightly different as they are sanded by hand which will make each one different.

I hope that this has helped answer any questions that you have had. if i can be of further help please let me know.

All the best

Jeremy

Archived