Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Studio 50's Tribute

Gibson SG

That's odd...they didn't limit the P-90 version, to the USA.

Why, do they limit the Humbucker version, to Europe??? [confused]

They did the same thing, with a more accurate version, of the Epi

Riviera (with mini-humbuckers, compensating tailpiece, and correct

headstock inlay). Can't get IT here, either. Unless, you order from

a European dealer, and have it shipped, or pick it up, there. ???

And, look at the "Japan Only" offerings, as well. Why do they want

to limit those, and thus, their related revenue gathering, as well???

Gibson is just "Weird," at times. LOL

I thought in the UK we only had the P90 versions, anyway....

In UK - only guessing, but its probably down to the rediculous price of new Gibson Les Paul Standards and Traditions - new sales must have suffered greatly in the last 12 months. Standards are around the £1900.00 mark, there must be a lack of new sales for these guitars in which their prices have gone up by £500 in the last three years!

In the UK the prices on everything especially fuel and food have gone up due to an increased % of tax on everything (called VAT), there are massive budget cuts in the public sector and job losses - people just cant afford to spend that amount of money on a new guitar. Gibson needs to do something about this so (Im guessing) they introduce more friendly priced versions and humbucker versions are more likely to sell in larger numbers

Yeah, I was thinking about getting one and using pinstripe tape as binding (It doesn't have binding I think) and put chrome covers on the pickups on a worn honey burst model (make it look like a standard [thumbup] ) until I saw the "thomman exclusive". [thumbdn]

While I agree with you, the us gets far more "limited" models than the rest of the world. It's annoying, but it's just one of those annoying things. I was luck to have a Les Paul standard goldtop with P90'(which regrettably, I sold to fund my travels).

We all have certain guitars that we dream of. Gibson don't make things easy at times.

Yeah, that was my point...I can see making CS "limited editions," but WHY

limit them, or their regular models, to countries or continents. That just

limit's THEIR profits. DUMB...IMHO. ;>b They should make all models, available,

to all countries, and stick to making CS "limited editions" as a way to offer

some exclusivity.

CB

You can easily order one from Thomann for delivery in the US. The cost is about $1,050 shipped, or about $200 more than we paid for the P-90 version here in 2010. Not a terrible deal, really!

Let's not beat up Gibson for this model; it's been very common (tradition?) for large retailers to commission "special" models (Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Wildwood, etc.) that are for sale only in their stores. Thomann is no different.

Good evening!

I have a confession to make: Just ordered one of these babies from Thomann! I choose to order the Honey Burst as I absolutely love the look of it. It usually takes a couple of days before you get your stuff from Thomann.. I live in Sweden and the company is based somewhere in Germany so I just have to wait and wait and wait..and wait a little more..

Anyway, my point is: If anyone's interested in how the guitar actually looks close up I plan to upload some pictures later on! Now let's hope Gibson makes this model available for you americans as well!

All the best,

Anders

post-33486-004794100 1306951058_thumb.jpg

post-33486-025126800 1306951095_thumb.jpg

I took these with my Iphone so the quality is pretty bad..It looks absolutely fantastic when you see it irl though! This is my first Gibson with humbuckers as I usually stick to guitars with P90's but I do like the sound of this one. Thanks to the chambered body the sound is a little more airy which I think works very well and makes the guitar a little more versatile.

First impressions:

-Very resonant (as resonant as a good Junior)

-Good sustain

-Fantastic neck (typical fat 50s neck), smooth frets and well adjusted

-Sound is clear and powerful

So far so good!

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

In UK - only guessing, but its probably down to the rediculous price of new Gibson Les Paul Standards and Traditions - new sales must have suffered greatly in the last 12 months. Standards are around the £1900.00 mark, there must be a lack of new sales for these guitars in which their prices have gone up by £500 in the last three years!

I was about to ask where you were buying these standards at these prices but decided I'd check before I made a fool of myself. When the hell did a standard get so pricey? I bought a Custom Shop R6 for only £200 more than that, end of last year! If I were going to buy a standard it would be a traditional anyway as I prefer the spec but I totally mised that. I bought a standard in 2003 and it was £1200!

I suppose it's the increased cost of fuel for shipping, prices on raw materials, the VAT increase, inflation over 8 years and so on, and the fact that chabbering must actually be quite labour intensive but I really completely missed that!

I sold my 2002 standard last year for £2400 and I couldn't work it out but it was a peach and not chambered with a symmetrical neck profile. I suppose it wasn't that much to pay for peach of an 02 LP looking at the prices now.

Archived