Gibson Brands Forums

335 or 339??

edwardjm

this is my first post, so forgive my ignorance. i'm in an alt-country band that plays original music along with covers by lucero, the drive-by-truckers, ryan adams, etc. i want that es 335/339 sound, but i don't know the pros and cons of either! Please help!!!

thanks

matt

Personally I'm a die hard 335 user and enthusiast

It has a certain serious size and weight about it

And is a classic beauty

From what I hear, the 339 is a smaller take on that classic

It's a matter of deciding which suits one's music best

And the size/weight consideration

Which will influence the tone and response.....

V

:-({|=

It's okay to do a little research so you aren't wasting your time with a guitar you wouldn't buy but all things being equal...you difinitely want to play both if you are undecided. The feel and the sound are the most important. Not what has what or doesn't have what.

I personally want the ES-339. Great price point for what you get and sounds great. Saving up those bucks for my next purchase.

Have fun. The journey is important as well. Let us know what you decide and get those pics up ASAP.

this is my first post, so forgive my ignorance. i'm in an alt-country band that plays original music along with covers by lucero, the drive-by-truckers, ryan adams, etc. i want that es 335/339 sound, but i don't know the pros and cons of either! Please help!!!

thanks

matt

What a nice dilemma -- 335 or 339. How can you lose? I own a es-339, Antique Cherry. I can't tell you how fine this guitar is. Playing it through a fender super champ amp, it versatility and sweet tones are extraordinary. But I have played several 335's. And of course, the mind and ears compare. Conclusion: The 335 and 339 are very close in sound, tone, and versatility, nearly equal in every way. But I do believe ther 335 has a slight edge in tonal quality -- and that's hard for me to admit. I emphasize: very slight edge. It ought to; it costs quite a bit more. Nevertheless, the difference is so slight, that returning to my es-339 does not disapoint me, not one bit.

So I think: for the money its the 339 -- for the ultimate in primo sound -- its the 335. But I'm not sure the price difference is worth it. I hope this helps, but play them both and decide for yourself -- our ears tend to hear differently.

Archived