Gibson Brands Forums

Best L1

mjs47

Hi All

I'm looking to buy an L1 for fingerstyle Blues. Living in the UK finding a vintage one is not really likely, so I am thinking of the Robert Johnson signature model which is available. A couple of shops here also have a 90's reissue available. It looks the same but doesn't feature the signature on the fretboard (a bonus for me). I think this was a limited run of L1's done prior to the RJ reissue.

Does anyone know if one is better than the other? I don't like the inlaid signature but can live with it - really it's about sound and playability for fingerstyle. 90's is not vintage but are they better?

Opinions welcome - thanks in advance!

I would go with the reissue and no signature if the sound and feel is nice, I'm quite partial to the shape and look of the RJ model, but I don't think I could deal with the inlayed sig very well, I had looked at one before I bought my Keb Mo model, the Keb Mo has the sig etched into the TR cover so it's an easy swap-out for a plain one.

I own an RJ, love the guitar, could live without the sig. It's got a unique chunky neck and the sound is impressive for such a small guitar.

I'm pretty sure Gibson stopped making them so they could come out with a sig free version soon.

securedownload-2.png

First thing I did when I got my Aaron Lewis SJ is swap the AL truss rod cover to a plain one.

Why ... because its meant to look like a 51's SJ, so lets make it look like a real 51' SJ would look.

It's interesting how people respond to added signatures on guitars. I understand why some people don't like them.

Archived