Gibson Brands Forums

Deciding On Controls

DennisMiller

Sorry to say this isn't about an Epi guitar, but I've always found good reasoning here, so I'm going to ask regardless of the name on the headstock.

I picked up a cheap Ibanez guitar, model GART50. I got it dirt cheap as an open box return, just $127. It's a good piece of woodwork to mess with, with decent fret work and a good feeling neck. The body is comfortable and even has an armrest bevel cut into it.

In general, it looks like a Les Paul with a more sculpted body. It has a bolt on neck, dual humbuckers, 3 way switch, but instead of dual controls for each pickup, it's got what is SUPPOSED to be dual volume and 1 master tone control. I say SUPPOSED because the controls are having an identity crisis. At different times, each one affects volume or tone, but with no consistency as to what affects what.

You can see what's coming... I'm going to rewire it. So my question is, since I can't tell much of anything from the pots currently in it, is there any benefit to dual volume with a master tone control... as opposed to having a master volume and dual tone controls?

Thanks gang,

Dennis

is there any benefit to dual volume with a master tone control... as opposed to having a master volume and dual tone controls?

I think that's definitely a personal preference issue, whatever you'd rather Dennis.

I think that's definitely a personal preference issue, whatever you'd rather Dennis.

I'd like to give some great intuitive technical insights and advice....but....

When it comes right down to it, R put it in a nutshell.

Two volumes and your center blend is done with the volumes. The tone then lightens or darkens the whole picture.

Of course, with two pickups in different position they sound different to begin with.

One volume and it is just a matter of louder or softer. The pickups will maintain a consistent balance. You will have a little more variety in tone in the center position or when switching from "rhythm" to "tremble"

Just a matter of how you want to use your controls.

If it was me I would temp them in and decide after playing.

Willy

Well, one insight may be of use: when the tone is placed before the volume, the volume control acts according to where the tone is set, and this is one of the main differences in tone experienced by those who choose to go with the "50's" type wiring. As such, it may seem the the volume control loses more highs as it is turned down.

Long story short, if you use only one volume, the tone controls will have to act before the volume I think, because you will have to use one volume for each pup and setting.

Years ago I had a USA Hamer Artist with dual volumes and a master tone. Honestly, I don't have any recollection what difference it made to me.

As of today, I've officially been approved for Social Security, so I'm no longer required to remember squat.... including how to type, judging by the errors I just corrected...

Then, as long as you have the time...Have you had a chance to go through some of these?

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams.2_pickup_guitar_wiring_diagrams/

Also, as I'm not familiar with your guitar, you may be able to make use of dual, split, blend and/or push/pull control pots....depending on the thickness of the guitar.

Willy

My preference is 2 Volumes and 1 tone, if I had to make that choice.

This allows a bit more flexibility when adjusting your sound.

If you want a bit more treble, turn up the bridge, and vice versa.

My Ultra 2 has this setup for the humbuckers, and it works well for me.

Archived