Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton electronics change

bluesboy1

Greetings,

I am wanting to change the stock electronics in my '97 Sheraton II. But before i do, i was just curious about the labour cost. How much time should it take for an adequate guitar tech to replace the pots, caps, toggle switch, and jack in this semi-hollow body? Also, what is the average hourly rate for a decent guitar tech?

Thanx for your help, cheers.

Quite a difficult job to do because of semis generally not having an access plate for wiring etc

Therefore fiddly and expensive

About £50/hr is not excessive with the skill levels required.....

So the job in question would be £100+

V

:-({|=

It would take all of 2 hours to do that job. Possibly more.

All of the soldering takes place outside the guitar, and then everything gets fed in through the pickup holes. Kind of finicky work.

The rates charged by luthiers vary from area to area, so phone around and find someone who is highly recommended. Sometimes it saves time and money if you hire the best.

Not much I can add to above.

2-3 hours is as good as I could guess.

As, mentioned, check prices in your area. Around here techs charge $40-$60/hr. US.

You didn't mention so, I am curious.

I am wanting to change the stock electronics in my '97 Sheraton II.

Why?

Are your electronics giving you problems? Are you using the guitar professionally and doing it for the sake of dependibility?

Are you perhaps considering new pups?

No big deal but, it sometimes makes for interesting conversation and comments.

Willy

I agree with the above. My tech here in San Antonio wanted $65 an hour and a $25 extra for it being a hollowbody. I decided to take on the endeavor myself. Boy, I did not know what I was getting myself into. Should have just had my tech do it.

I'd say about $150 for everything. Pots, Jack, Switch, etc.

Hi Bluesboy, I got an estimate of at least $250-$300 from my local long and mcquade including the parts for a new wiring harness on my Joe Pass. I ended up ordering a harness from Mojotone in the states and I'm going to try doing it myself. I'm somewhat patient and their videos make it look so easy...we'll see, stay tuned.

Thank you for all your responses, very helpful. From my reading, i should ensure that both vol and tuning pots are 500K values. What about cap values? - bridge = .02 and neck = .01 for blues? Also thinking about the treble bleed mod.

cheers.

Archived