Gibson Brands Forums

LP Tribute

Hey guys,

while going through the endless sea of guitars my eye fell upon the Gibson Les Paul Traditional and the ES 339. Both AWESOME guitars..with amazing playability and tone (trust me, I've played a few).

While looking for a budget option to spend a few extra dollars on a good amp, I saw the Epiphone Les Paul Tribute. Had to play it..and it felt almost as good.

I have one question for all Tribute owners..

Is the Tribute worth it? For a $750-$800 guitar are the electronics sound, and is it a guitar that will serve as a main guitar for a few years? It seems to have similar specs as the Trads and has the 57 Classics, which I love!!

So, put up your pictures, and please give me an honest review on this, 'cause if it's Epi love, I might just end up buying one for myself

Cheers!! [thumbup]

I don't own one of these, Rokk, but I've played every one of them that has come into the store and they are really great guitars! Not only do they blow every "G" brand guitar in the same price range out of the water, but they are superb guitars in thier own right! If you aren't overly sensitive about the name on the headstock (or the shape!), I would put these guitars up for the blindfolded "taste test" any day ... AND you'll get an amp to boot!

Here is a good (albeit a bit silly at times) review from the folks at Anderton's Music. Their usual great job. Have fun making your decision ...

Jim

Jim,

Good find on the review....thanks for postin'.

Ya gotta love special runs.

It's like todays version of Elite.

I'm just one of those people that doesn't mind paying a few bucks more if it's what I'm looking for.

Now........

If I could only find the money!

Willy

• 2 months later...

Hi! I am the proud owner of Esther, an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute 1960 HCS and it's an incredible guitar both to look at and to play. The sustain is great and it's quite a heavy guitar just like a LP should be. It also came in a black hardcase with the E-logo in gold print. The only minus for me was that it didn't come with a pickguard but I bought one and put on. My vision of a classic Les Paul is WITH a pickguard as my first guitar hero was Ace Frehley :-)

The pickups are Gibson '57's so it's as close to a Gibson LP as you can get with an Epiphone but for a lot less money. I don't think you can get a better sound with a Gibson Studio in the same price range...

Also it has Grover locking tuners and straplocks.

A lot of people seem to confuse it with the LP 1960 Standard though...

Hi! I am the proud owner of Esther, an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute 1960 HCS and it's an incredible guitar both to look at and to play. The sustain is great and it's quite a heavy guitar just like a LP should be. It also came in a black hardcase with the E-logo in gold print. The only minus for me was that it didn't come with a pickguard but I bought one and put on. My vision of a classic Les Paul is WITH a pickguard as my first guitar hero was Ace Frehley :-)

The pickups are Gibson '57's so it's as close to a Gibson LP as you can get with an Epiphone but for a lot less money. I don't think you can get a better sound with a Gibson Studio in the same price range...

Also it has Grover locking tuners and straplocks.

A lot of people seem to confuse it with the LP 1960 Standard though...

I have an Epi 1960 Tribute V3

EPILPSM1.jpg

I also own a Gibson 1960 Tribute Honeyburst

LP_HB_FRONT2.jpg

They are very different guitars. The V3 is a humbucker based guitar with a solid mahogany body and maple top with a flame veneer top and 2 piece mahogany veneer back. The BB1 and BB2 pickups are ver vintage. The neck is very nice and the guitar has a relatively classic Les Paul tone. It sounds as good as other Gibson production Les Pauls to me. The Gibson 1960 Tribute is a duel p90 guitar. It has a chambered mahogany body with a maple top. It has a very thin nitro finish and is very light. The Gibson Tribute has medium jumbo frets while the Epi Tribute has medium frets. They are bot really nice guitars which do different tonally. I think both are worth the price however the Gibson will hold its value better long term I would guess.

Archived