Gibson Brands Forums

Music school of sorts?

dem00n

I'm looking for a music school i could go to over the summer, not a school like a college but a school where one can go to learn more about music and to play an instrument better to say.

Do any of these exist?

I'm looking for a music school i could go to over the summer, not a school like a college but a school where one can go to learn more about music and to play an instrument better to say.

Do any of these exist?

Here we have a Royal Conservatory of Music...thats where I've been going...i would imagine NY has something similar! Did you Google it? :)

Here we have a Royal Conservatory of Music...thats where I've been going...i would imagine NY has something similar! Did you Google it? :)

I did and all i can find are colleges.

I cant do colleges, kinda in high school still. [lol]

Like a summer camp of sorts? Could always just see if a local college is doing any summer classes.

Thanks, ill check to see if local college will take a kid in.

I wouldnt wanna go to a camp, like sleeping in a room full of male teenagers isnt fun.

Well there's always music workshops, I just googled summer guitar camps and a few popped up around New York. They don't provide housing so you'd have to be in a hotel offsite, the few I looked at had a lot of jazz workshops though. Which personally I think it would be a good learning experience.

I like the piano piece that plays when you first enter the site :) They don't list any tuition fees except summer classes for 4-7 year olds though. Edit: Nevermind they have a funky scrolling system you have to click on.

Thanks, ill check to see if local college will take a kid in.

I wouldnt wanna go to a camp, like sleeping in a room full of male teenagers isnt fun.

In Portland here, we have the " Rock and Roll Camp For Girls "............The chicks (ages 5-18) would dig you !!!!!!!

NYC....Hmmm......Thinking off the map, outside the box, etc........Why not cold call recording studios, offer free work of any kind, ie, sweeping floors, hooking up cables,

etc, in exchange for watching and learning what they do....Could be a good way to meet, greet, absorb, etc etc.....Maybe the same with NYC band practice studios...

In Portland here, we have the " Rock and Roll Camp For Girls "............The chicks (ages 5-18) would dig you !!!!!!!

NYC....Hmmm......Thinking off the map, outside the box, etc........Why not cold call recording studios, offer free work of any kind, ie, sweeping floors, hooking up cables,

etc, in exchange for watching and learning what they do....Could be a good way to meet, greet, absorb, etc etc.....Maybe the same with NYC band practice studios...

Isn't that how Trent Reznor got into it? They let him have free time on the equipment in the off hours.

Cold call luthiers who build and repair guitars.........Same deal.....offer to sweep floors, solder, chabge lightbulbs, polish geets, etc etc.....

Offer to Summer Intern as a Gibson Lounge Moderator........[flapper][crying] :unsure: [blush] :blink: eusa_clap.gif:-k .....

Thats a great idea, ill do so when i have a car.

The only thing stooping me is transportation, i dont have that much cash either.

I know Berklee up here in Boston does a 10 week (not sure the exact length) music program during the summer. Hellish commute but there is almost definitely one like it in NYC.

Internships would be a great idea, I'm set to start one at a music school/recording studio (full blown) sometime later this summer.

If you have any interest in rambling around the countryside far, far away from the East Coast...

I don't know what Dr. Royer has going this summer, but he's a fine jazz guitarist and you may note he also has a strong background in recording technology.

I wouldn't bother him unless you're serious... very serious.

m

Black Hills State University, Spearfish, South Dakota: Dr. Randall Royer: Chair Fine & Applied Art Department, Director of Jazz Band, Orchestra and Woodwinds

Office: MH 106

Phone: (605) 642-6255

Randall.Royer@bhsu.edu

http://www.bhsu.edu/Default.aspx?alias=www.bhsu.edu/randallroyer

I was going to suggest something like Berklee....

Boston WOULD be quite the commute tho :)

What does Juilliard have in the way of camps/summer programs?

They're NYC.

L

Wouldn't those be awful pricey? [confused]

Archived