Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG g310 MIJ

Rusty Utah

Hi Everybody, I'm trying to find out if an Epiphone G-310 Ser #90xx3xx is really MIJ at Fuji-Gen. Wiki says they are "very rare". It's white, "Open Book" head, EMG pups, Strap stud on neck - not on neck plate, "SG" truss cover.

Please look at pics. I want to buy this, but don't want to get ripped off. Thank you, Norm

post-33482-087755300 1306565302_thumb.jpg

post-33482-008435800 1306565339_thumb.jpg

Hi Everybody, I'm trying to find out if an Epiphone G-310 Ser #90xx3xx is really MIJ at Fuji-Gen. Wiki says they are "very rare". It's white, "Open Book" head, EMG pups, Strap stud on neck - not on neck plate, "SG" truss cover.

Please look at pics. I want to buy this, but don't want to get ripped off. Thank you, Norm

I'm not %100 on this, but i think this guitar is Korean, 1989-ish. Not Japanesse.

My local "Back Alley Music" Has a RED Korean open book their after £150 for it...

Its novel I have to edmit

Also on a side note you can get a worn GIBSON White SG for £600

Look at the pictures, this is not an early 90s "62" G-400 with standard covered pups. Those tossing off MIKs are all over for cheap. This is an "Open Book" head stock. I believe they only made these from late 1989 till early 1990, and would like solid confirmation from someone with the real know, and preferably a catalog page. I've got an outrageously fantastic Ibanez AR300 MIK, so I know Korea put out some damned good guitars at one time(see pic in below), but I need more info about Epi's MIJ.

Thank you, Norm

post-33482-063893200 1306571405_thumb.jpg

Look at the pictures, this is not an early 90s "62" G-400 with standard covered pups. Those tossing off MIKs are all over for cheap. This is an "Open Book" head stock. I believe they only made these from late 1989 till early 1990, and would like solid confirmation from someone with the real know, and preferably a catalog page.

Thank you, Norm

The Early Korean model ALSO had an open book headstock. Theirs nothing wrong with mentioning it for comparison. We are all cival people, I've owned 8 SG's myself.

sdc10783r.jpg

Here was mine...

The Early Korean model ALSO had an open book headstock. Theirs nothing wrong with mentioning it for comparison. We are all cival people, I've owned 8 SG's myself.

Thank you, that info has been un-available till now. Norm

post-33482-051979100 1306569092_thumb.jpg

sdc10783r.jpg

Here was mine...

According to this site, Trapazoid Inlays were not put on till after the mid 90s. That's another reason I need more info. Please know I really thank you for the help, but I don't want to "over bid" what I'm looking to buy. Norm

P,S. I noticed your pups only have 2 screws, is that common to MIK?

According to this site, Trapazoid Inlays were not put on till after the mid 90s. That's another reason I need more info. Please know I really thank you for the help, but I don't want to "over bid" what I'm looking to buy. Norm

P,S. I noticed your pups only have 2 screws, is that common to MIK?

The guitar you're showing appears to be a G-400, is that right?

Norm, I would suggest that the pickups on your intended guitar are not the originals. Every thing else about the guitar seems consistent with an 1989 MIK g310.

As for its worth...A guitar is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it. If you have played the guitar and you like it then make him an offer.

Personally i wouldn't pay more than £100 ($160) aprox, assuming it is in playable condition.

Norm, I would suggest that the pickups on your intended guitar are not the originals. Every thing else about the guitar seems consistent with an 1989 MIK g310.

As for its worth...A guitar is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it. If you have played the guitar and you like it then make him an offer.

Personally i wouldn't pay more than £100 ($160) aprox, assuming it is in playable condition.

Thank you, Norm

RTH's "Unoffical Epiphone WIKI" states that the G-310 "open Book"

headstock was manufactured only in 89 - 90, but doesn't indicate a country of

origin:

http://www.epiphonew...itle=SG#G-310_2

Most likely Samick, Korea. The only other option would be Samick, Indonesia, but I'm not sure when Epiphone started making Indo guitars. It has an early serial number that doesnt seem to indicate the coutry of origin. However, the first number indicates the year 1989. This is the same format and sticker style as my Korean S-500, so like I said, most likely Korean.

The pickups are Vantage. They put them in the G310's at least until 1994. The Vantage pups are quite underwhelming to say the least.

For whatever reason, the wiki seems to be down today, but there were no Fujigen G-310's. The G-310's sold on the Japanese market were either Korean or Indonesian...not sure which. Probably a little of both. The only SG made at Fujigen besides the Elitist was a version of the G-400 called the SG-70.

Either way, its a somewhat rare guitar. Its not a high value guitar by any means, but it should fetch a little more for the open-book headstock. Unfortunately, it is still a lam body guitar and the Vantage pickups are pretty terrible. In my book, it would be a keeper and a modding platform.

Unless those pickups were put on after market, they are not EMGs. Many people mistake the Vantage pickups on the old G-310's for EMGs. They arent even close. They only appear to look the same because of the black plastic cover.

I gather from this thread that you are buying or bidding on this guitar? If so, and if the seller is claiming that they are EMG, get proof. Like some kind of visual proof like a logo on the pickup or something. With the Vantage pickups, the cover is glued to pickup frame. If you were to pull the cover off, you would see that the bobbins are clear. A definite indicator of the old Vantage pickup. IIRC, they should be 2-wire pickups as well...non coil-splittable. I'm pretty sure EMGs are 4-wire.

Unless those pickups were put on after market, they are not EMGs. Many people mistake the Vantage pickups on the old G-310's for EMGs. They arent even close. They only appear to look the same because of the black plastic cover.

I gather from this thread that you are buying or bidding on this guitar? If so, and if the seller is claiming that they are EMG, get proof. Like some kind of visual proof like a logo on the pickup or something. With the Vantage pickups, the cover is glued to pickup frame. If you were to pull the cover off, you would see that the bobbins are clear. A definite indicator of the old Vantage pickup. IIRC, they should be 2-wire pickups as well...non coil-splittable. I'm pretty sure EMGs are 4-wire.

Thank you all for getting me straight! Without this good info, I may have bid it up way too much - its on ebay.

I'll leave this alone, as I doubt the seller can "prove" his claim of "made in Japan". Norm

Found it a USA ONLY Auction http://cgi.ebay.com/90s-Epiphone-SG-Open-Book-Head-Electric-Guitar-Japan-/290569713019?pt=Guitar&hash=item43a74df57b

The Open Book Korean I mentioned is a g400 style one. I have to edmit £150 was STEAP and it was in bad condition...

But as has been said, its worth what your willing to pay for one...

This particular guitar seems to be unique, but perhaps only by the headstock. It's anybody's guess as how it ended up in the USA, so it may be more unique here than elsewhere.

This is the best forum to bring up unique issues, since there are many owners and seekers all in one place. Having a reference for future inquiries could be very helpful for others.

The opening price of $125 is probably a fairly reasonable value, but IMO, it would only be a good deal if the hard case was included (assuming it's fairly good quality). I don't think there are any retail market priceless gems from the 1990s with bolt-on necks (desireable ones, but not investment opportunities).

The tuners have an overall triangular shape, different from the ones with the small tab for the screw on the side.

The tuner shafts have a small black spacer/washer installed under the button, in addition to the white bushing/spacer.

There are only 4 screws in the controls cover, and those screws aren't bright plated, dark finish or painted maybe.

The pickguard screws appear to have an odd finish (maybe painted), or they might be rusty (probably indicating high humidity or beach home salty air).

The pickup adjusting screw heads (3 per pickup) look a bit odd also.. not quite black, but dark. There's no indication that the pickups were the 2-screw type at one time, as there would be an existing empty hole on one side of each pup.

The 3 small screws in the TRC truss rod cover are bright plated.

The Epiphone name is nearly perfectly straight across the headstock, and it almost looks a little too close to the top edge, but cameras do odd things to pictures sometimes.

The adjustment screws in the TOM tune-o-matic bridge are pointed away from the neck.. easy enough to do accidentally before the LockTone bridges and tailpieces which stay on when all the strings are removed. It's not easy to see by the pictures if there is a retaining wire in place for the screws.

The layout of the holes for the switch, neck volume and tone pots is a nearly perfectly straight line, and very close to equally spaced.

If this model was made in Japan, I'd expect the *Japan* marking to be present somewhere on the hardware parts.. unless it was just assembled/finished in Japan from imported parts.

There could be clues.. maybe under the tailpiece or bridge, or possibly on the concealed face of the tuners (the surface that meets with the rear headstock surface), or possibly on the bushing side of the pots and/or on the switch.

In the end, the temptation for some curious soul to find more details may push the price higher.

As a price point, the 1998 Korean left handed SG G-310 I found a while ago on Ebag, was $105 plus $30 shipping.. but it came with a very sturdy older Epiphone hard case.

BTW, the 1989 SG also has the front strap button on the neck at the heel, not on the neck plate.

Regards,

Bill

This particular guitar seems to be unique, but perhaps only by the headstock. It's anybody's guess as how it ended up in the USA, so it may be more unique here than elsewhere.

I know how it ended up on the USA...because it was make in Korea for the US market. These were the first runs of the G-310, G-400s and LPs in Korea.

Pete, you forgot the JDM Elitists.

I know how it ended up on the USA...because it was make in Korea for the US market. These were the first runs of the G-310, G-400s and LPs in Korea.

Pete, you forgot the JDM Elitists.

Mannn.. I forgot I have a 6-page 1989 brochure/flyer, which shows the same images as the EverythingSG site's image for G-310 and G-400 models:

http://www.everythingsg.com/index.php/1989e.html

Open book style headstocks are shown on 5 models that I can see (the T-310 image is obscured by graphics) on the additional pages.

The one exception to the details in the white G-310 auction pictures is that the TRC is marked GIBSON vertically, not SG horizontally.

It may just be the result of advertising artwork touchup work, but the majority of the small screws of the pickguards for most models are black or dark in appearance.

The other models which have open book style headstocks are the G-400, Les Paul Standards and Customs, and the Chet Atkins Country Gentleman II.

Regards,

Bill

Mannn.. I forgot I have a 6-page 1989 brochure/flyer, which shows the same images as the EverythingSG site's image for G-310 and G-400 models:

http://www.everythin....php/1989e.html

Open book style headstocks are shown on 5 models that I can see (the T-310 image is obscured by graphics) on the additional pages.

The one exception to the details in the white G-310 auction pictures is that the TRC is marked GIBSON vertically, not SG horizontally.

It may just be the result of advertising artwork touchup work, but the majority of the small screws of the pickguards for most models are black or dark in appearance.

The other models which have open book style headstocks are the G-400, Les Paul Standards and Customs, and the Chet Atkins Country Gentleman II.

Regards,

Bill

The T-310 had the Explorer style headstock until the mid 1990's when it changed to the Batwing style.

The TRC with Gibson vertically was common until the late 90's, early 00's. or sometime around that period. My 94 G-310 has it, my 2006-ish LP Jr. Does not.

Didnt know that about the Country Gentleman. Thanks for the info.

Also, I took a look at EverythingSG.com's 1991 G-310 catalogue page. It amazes me how Epiphone can get their own info wrong. They state the pickups to be "Gibson designed high-output exposed humbuckers", but they are clearly the non-exposed, "covered" Vantage humbuckers that, for all intents and purposes, are pretty low output.

They also say thet the body is made from lightweight mahogany. Well. it is indeed lightweight, but more like mahogany/alder laminate. I just looked at the cavity on mine.

Archived