Gibson Brands Forums

Dear Gibson.

Dallastx

Everyone knows Gibson is the #1 guitar maker in the world. What is the R&D people smoking these days? Just keep building them the way you have been doing all these years. Changing electronics in some guitars can be a good thing, but stay with what sells. I know I'm rambling..

D

Everyone knows Gibson is the #1 guitar maker in the world. What is the R&D people smoking these days? Just keep building them the way you have been doing all these years. Changing electronics in some guitars can be a good thing, but stay with what sells. I know I'm rambling..

D

I dunno, but sometimes I get the impression that QC is smoking it too.

.... Changing electronics in some guitars can be a good thing, but stay with what sells. .....

Just because your not buying that, doesn't mean others aren't.

Not to state the obvious, but if the robot/electronics stops being a money maker for Gibson, they'll stop making them.

Actually this "topic" has been running on and off since the Robot entered the scene; some folks apparently figure that guitar technology should have ended with the Strat and SG.

What many haven't realized is that there was some similar push back in the '50s against solidbodies in general. Not "real" guitars. Some would go so far as to suggest that anything electrified, especially for companies like Gibson, was an absolutely horrid idea, reaching actually the point of immorality.

I like the fact that Gibson still makes older designs if they still sell, and yet still is reaching for innovations. Don't forget that the Les Paul didn't sell well at all in its first incarnation, which is what brought us the SG.

And one doesn't see many new Gibson acoustic archtops, either. <grin>

Personally I won't call those who are against the new electronics Luddites as some have suggested it's been said, but I do think some of the experimentation with designs and features will end up bringing us a somewhat different sort of guitar in the future that will be easier to use and just as playable and long-lasting as guits from the 50s and 60s.

I just wish I could afford a new Firebird X. OTOH, my current main players are a full hollow and a semi-hollow... both with traditional Gibson-style HB setup.

m

Archived