Gibson Brands Forums

Guild vs Taylor Acoustic

lazarusvt84

I hope you feel good about pointing out the imperfections of others. I know some people really do get off on it. If you ask me, the only thing Big about you is your ego.

Get a life.

Ouch.

I'm not pointing out anything but the trashing you've given to Gibson guitars, while justifying it by saying you love Gibson guitars. Sorry that upsets you. But you shouldn't trash Gibson guitars on a Gibson forum and not expect to get comments about it.

Game, Set, Match. Big is right, as much as we are all fans of all Brands of guitars some of us are pretty loyal to certain brands which is why we post on there forums.

In other words for playability and sound the list is probably something like Martin, Gibson, Taylor, Guild, Takamine, Yamaha, Epiphone and so on. The best thing to remember about acoustics is the more it ages the better it will sound, so the person who suggested a used Gibby is on the right track, a vintage 60s or 70s acoustic will sing much nicer then any comparable guitar from this year. You gotta play a bunch of guitars and find out what suits your style and what feels right in your hands, I went through five explorers before I went home with one just because I wanted one that felt right to play but also just to hold. For your son it could be a $500 Yamaha that does the trick. Something about going out with the intention of spending a set amount on a guitar is a good idea but you should never underestimate some of the less expensive stuff as well. Happy Guitar hunting though, hopefully you find what your looking for fast.

Lazarus,

I found I had to go up the price ladder (a bit more than you seem to thinking) to get the Taylor I felt was a truly "good" one, re: 714 and, in my case 814CE. The Taylor guitar shows its' worth fully when it is plugged in to a nice acoustic amp. It's then you know best what you have in your hands. Good hunting!

Hall

The local guitar place has about 10 increasingly expensive Taylors from 3/4 sized mini to $4000 and clearly the more expensive, the better the sound/playability until you got into the $2500 range...then it seemed to not matter much. My son likes the 314 CE...and it's price range.

Son looking to upgrade his acoustic...looking to spend btwn $1200 to $1500. He'd like a Taylor (has played several)...but thinks Guild may make a decent guitar as well. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Ive played dozens of acoustics but never heard one as good as my friend Dave's Guild 12 string. If the discussion is between Guild or Taylor i would go for the old Guild's when they were made in Rhode island, the quality was fantastic.

Taylor, Gibson also make great acoustics but for the price Epiphone has some of the best value for the money, i paid 350 for an epi hummingbird and it sounded great with some martin strings.

Archived