Gibson Brands Forums

Oh Danny Boy

TommyK

The name of the tune to which the words "Danny Boy" are written to is an ancient Air written in honor of the town of Derry. It's called:

Derry Air.

Say that three times fast. [blush]

I ain't making this up.

The name of the tune which the words "Danny Boy" are written to is an ancient Air written in honor of the town of Derry. It's called:

Derry Air.

I ain't making this up.

LOL! Very well spotted! Normally, of course, it's known as the 'Londonderry Air' which, understandably, has some quarters in a mood.

There is a dispute about the original name. "Air from County Derry" seems to be the most likely original title. But I do like the nickname "Arse". Sounds almost like "Erse".........

P..

The name of the tune which the words "Danny Boy" are written to is an ancient Air written in honor of the town of Derry. It's called:

Derry Air.

I ain't making this up.

i said "derry air" fast 3 times...i don't get it? :unsure:

i said "derry air" fast 3 times...i don't get it? :unsure:

Londonderry FKA Derry. Depending on your political stance in Londonderry/Derry, Derry is the preferred spelling.

Steve, steve, steve.... either check out the thread on "Somthing is smelling funny in Canada" thread or go back to playing your guitars. I probably gotta go bail out my basement. [cursing]

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

Londonderry FKA Derry. Depending on your political stance in Londonderry/Derry, Derry is the preferred spelling.

Steve, steve, steve.... either check out the thread on "Somthing is smelling funny in Canada" thread or go back to playing your guitars. I probably gotta go bail out my basement. [cursing]

Prefered is an understatement, go to Derry with an English accent and walk arround calling it Londonderry, you'll soon find out to what extent Derry is preferred!

Archived