Gibson Brands Forums

Weight tests

That SG is very Evol-esque... Hmmmmmmm....

To completely do a weight test, you would have to sacrifice one and find the breaking point

I'd love to know the breaking point, so far I'm well into 200 lbs, but I'm not willing to hurt anyone, I figure with my weight at the ends of the leg spans instead of at the axis where an amp would sit compounds my weight even more.

Anyone know of a more scientific way to do this? [scared]

Weighttesting002.jpg

First: Is that a MOP or a very shiny aluminum PG on that SG? I want to say MOP but it looks REALLY shiny, either way [thumbup] looking great.

Second: What exactly are you using for wood in your stands, its obviously a hard wood, air or kiln dried? Looks like standard 2" thick so it should be a lot more durable then you might expect. I have a mini coffee table I use as a nightstand that I made out of Red Oak, I made it when I was in grade 9 so like 11 years ago, was air dried (takes longer but less stressful on the wood), made out of 1" thick wood its taken my full weight (6'1" 230ish lbs so by far not a small boy) something like this wow I would betcha you can get over 500lbs on it without too much hassle. Would probably we worried about any hinges or anything breaking first before the wood.

Edit: Disregard the question about the wood, I see its already been answered for me!

First: Is that a MOP or a very shiny aluminum PG on that SG? I want to say MOP but it looks REALLY shiny, either way [thumbup] looking great.

Second: What exactly are you using for wood in your stands, its obviously a hard wood, air or kiln dried? Looks like standard 2" thick so it should be a lot more durable then you might expect. I have a mini coffee table I use as a nightstand that I made out of Red Oak, I made it when I was in grade 9 so like 11 years ago, was air dried (takes longer but less stressful on the wood), made out of 1" thick wood its taken my full weight (6'1" 230ish lbs so by far not a small boy) something like this wow I would betcha you can get over 500lbs on it without too much hassle. Would probably we worried about any hinges or anything breaking first before the wood.

Edit: Disregard the question about the wood, I see its already been answered for me!

The SG pickguard looks like this,sorta tacky but it reminds me of just how small I am in the universe.

http://www.greasygroove.com/proddetail.php?prod=03628-PG-F-S-D-DS

We use both kiln and air dried, as long at the MC is less than 12%

The wood is 3/4 thick when I get it milled down, that info was left out. I can use 2 inch thick wood, but it gets really expensive.

custommadepics.jpg

The SG pickguard looks like this,sorta tacky but it reminds me of just how small I am in the universe.

http://www.greasygro...628-PG-F-S-D-DS

We use both kiln and air dried, as long at the MC is less than 12%

The wood is 3/4 thick when I get it milled down, that info was left out. I can use 2 inch thick wood, but it gets really expensive.

custommadepics.jpg

It might be tacky to some, but dude thats a pretty badass pick guard! Sucks they dont have one for my Explorer I think it would be a nifty touch. Anywho I am going to stick to my original guess of 500lbs on one of them stands, and by this second picture here it doesnt appear to have any hardware like hinges, just pressure fits itself together?

It might be tacky to some, but dude thats a pretty badass pick guard! Sucks they dont have one for my Explorer I think it would be a nifty touch. Anywho I am going to stick to my original guess of 500lbs on one of them stands, and by this second picture here it doesnt appear to have any hardware like hinges, just pressure fits itself together?

yeah, no hinges. I turn a 1 inch hardwood spindle on the lathe to a .001" tolerance for a perfect fit, the axle is glued into the inside of the outside legs, while the inside legs rotate around it. see below. but we don't do full spindles unless asked because it's a major PITA!

7164dcdde7c855011305337468.jpg

I agree 100% the MIK are awesome, agreed as well on the rocket, I put an eminence Cannabis Rex in it and its ultra sweet now. EH Tubes as well, when I turn it up and get it to break it's soooooo rockin, and when I leave some head room it's smokin' sweet jazz tone. pure American tone.

If you really want to test it for strength put a plastic or metal 55 gallon drum on the stand and then just fill it with water, you'll get 460 pounds plus the barrel if you can fill it all the way. That would be a pretty impressive photo on your website and you won't break anybodies neck including your own. If it'll hold that you won't find any amp that's going to break it. The nice thing about testing with water is you build the weight slowly so if you do pop something you can figure out how full the barrel was when it popped then you'll know what the breaking point of components is.

A stack of 45 lb. olympic weights would probably stack pretty nice on the stand also.

Or you could get somebody like me to stand on it at 6'4" and 285 pounds I pretty much already stress test everything I get near. especially those plastic yard chairs always makes me wonder what's gonna happen before I sit down :unsure:

I use to make welded wrought iron stands for fishtanks and the barrel of water is what we used to do to prove the strength of welds.

Actually the one we used was plastic and had a lid on it with about a 2 inch opening so it was pretty easy to use. The guy next door to our workspace was kind of a survivalist or something he had four of them sitting full of water so we just borrowed his. I used to buy the metal ones from a scrap place for $13 dollars to make BBQ's but probably just depends on where your at.

the one I used looked like this but was white if I remeber correctly he said he bought them at a Co-Op near us to store wheat in and they were about 40 bucks new.

55gldrum.jpg

Archived