Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie in need

freddyfingers

Hi all. I am hoping to get some straight info from some actual gibson SG players. Short story long, I have tried to bond with a Grestch{yes, I did say that word, but hear me out}G6122 1962. Got a great deal on it, but even though its a proseries Gretsch, I cant get comfortable with the neck. A bit to wide and thick for me. I guess playing a strat for years threw me off. Anyway, I am going to trade it out if I can on my local craigs list here in Va. I have played a few Les Pauls in the past and have found the necks to be big as well. From my reading, the SG's have slimmer necks. Is this so? or is slim a relative word. ALso, in your humble opinions, if the trade /sale value on mine is between 1500 and 1800, depending on stores or individual sales, whats the closest SG, used, in that price range. I play blues, and blues swing{on the other gretsch I am keeping}, through a Fender 59 bassman reissue. So I like the straight up sound of good pickups cranked though a tube amp. Any thoughts? Thanks

Welcome.

In Gibson lingo you'll want to avoid the 50s profile or 50s round necks.

If you look, you can usually find Gibson SGs, LPs and semi/hollow bodies with slimmer or 60s profile necks.

Thanks. I am off to either GC or Sam Ash this weekend to try some out. Ubnfortunatley, the employees rarely understand those questions.

Thanks. I am off to either GC or Sam Ash this weekend to try some out. Ubnfortunatley, the employees rarely understand those questions.

Since you're going to GC check out the white standard, it should have the 60's slim neck like mine.

Look for Gibson guitars with the 60's profile necks - There are plenty of Les Pauls and SGs with the slimmer neck- every person working in a Guitar should should know this. If you ve got the Money a Gibson SG 61 reissue is an excellent choice with a slimmer neck and classic 57 pups . The (normal) SG standard has the thicker 50s neck (although there is some variation as in the White SG mentioned above which is a limited run) .....even so the best thing by far is to try out before u buy.

Thanks. I have seen some SG 61 reissues selling between 1400 and 1600 on ebay and craigslist. Thats about the price of the one Gretsch I want to trade it out for. Hopefully there is a SG player not happy and wants to trade. Thanks All!

I always thought the Sg's typically had the 60's profile necks as they were a guitar introduced in the 60's. Either way, definately look for 60's necks on the SG or even on the Les Paul. The reason why Angus Young likes the SG is mainly because it has a neck that fits his hands. Take a look at how big the SG looks on him, then see an SG in person and you realize how small the man really is.

I guess it's very possible that the SG Standard could have a 50's neck now, as the major complaint about the 60's profile is that it is less durable... many an SG has been lost because the strap let loose and the neck snapped off when the guitar hit the ground. Make sure to get yourself some strap locks of some sort. Dunlop makes plastic ones that you can fasten between the strap and the end of the strap button for like $5 that do the trick just fine and you don't need to replace the strap button. This way you don't have to worry about whether the screws for the new strap button are going to strip the screw holes and either defeat the purpose of the strap lock or make it impossible for you to put the original strap button back on if necessary.

Archived