Gibson Brands Forums

AMPS AMPS AMPS

SGplayer1994

i heard some good stuff about the marshall haze and its great for slashtone

Haze 15 Mini Stack is where its at, thing is mint. I picked the head and one cab up for $700, I will say its pretty punchy I find myself dialing out a lot of the low end at the amp but thats ok. Two channels Clean/OD the clean only has volume adjust, the OD channel had Vol and Gain so you can dial in that mean Marshall growl at low volumes. The built in effects are decent, I dont really use anything but the spring reverb and its always on in the 10-12 position. Probably one of the best ways to get that top dollar all tube Marshall sound for less then $1000, I love the heck out of mine, though I am not super keen on the Celestion Marquee speaker though, was considering swapping it out for a V30.

Huges and Kettner makes some nice units as well, vintage British sound made with futuristic German technology :P

Look into the Vox AD and VT series Valvetronix amps and the Marshall Valvestate.Even though these amps are Hybrid the 12AX7 tube is placed in such a way that it gives the whole amp a very tubelike warmth.I have a Vox AD120VTH head that I paid only $400 used and it has several mega-crunch settings that emulate the Marshall 900s,Mesa Dual Rectifiers and even 100W Soldanos and Dumble Overdrive Specials.Owning several Marshalls myself I can vouch for the authenticity of their tones-it really nails them spot on.

Both Marshall and Vox produce some uber-crunch combos too for pretty low prices especially when you buy used and their reliability is bullet proof.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that the Haze does sl00shtone outta the box. I was reading a thread over on the Marshall forums where a dude was asking how to get slashtone from his setup, after everyone had a unlubed go at his butt for loving slash they chased him off the thread. I kinda chuckled as I understood where they were coming from, apparently its really common for kids to get a MG series solid state Marshall and some el cheapo Epiphone Les Paul II or whatever coming on there asking how to get slashtone. I went over to my rig and picked up my explorer which was plugged into my Haze, reset the mega scooped EQ, cranked the gain and played sl00shes famous hook riff (intro to SCOM) and well it sounded so close to perfect I wanted to make a youtube video titled "How to get sl00sh tone"

Low - 9 o'clock

Mid - 12 o'clock

High - 3 o'clock

Gain - Dimed

On board Spring Reverb - 12 o'clock

Played on the neck pickup. Plugged directly into the amp. sl00shtone = easy!

Look into the Vox AD and VT series Valvetronix amps and the Marshall Valvestate.Even though these amps are Hybrid the 12AX7 tube is placed in such a way that it gives the whole amp a very tubelike warmth.I have a Vox AD120VTH head that I paid only $400 used and it has several mega-crunch settings that emulate the Marshall 900s,Mesa Dual Rectifiers and even 100W Soldanos and Dumble Overdrive Specials.Owning several Marshalls myself I can vouch for the authenticity of their tones-it really nails them spot on.

Both Marshall and Vox produce some uber-crunch combos too for pretty low prices especially when you buy used and their reliability is bullet proof.

If only he lived near me (Moncton,NB,Canada). I have a Vox Valve Reactor series hybrid amp for sale for $260. If you can find one, they're fairly loud and they do have a nice crunch tone when the clean channel is maxed and the dirty channel is capable of some pretty nice high gain tones also.

Unfortunately I find it's too small an amount of money to make shipping the amp or taking a road trip to sell it worth while. And then there's that little problem about getting time off work to make the trip.

I should also point out these things sell new for somewhere just under $450. If you come across one have a look.

Jet City Amps rule IMHO.

I have the 20H head and cab, $349.

Enough gain to do everything from blues, to metal.

Those Jet City heads are cool too. If I ever go looking for a distortion machine in a small amp format, I will conscider one of these. There's one that was actually designed by Mike Soldano.

Simple yet very important question. What is the best amp for crunch / metal distortion, at a cost of no more than $600?

Doesn't matter how the clean channel sounds to me, I already have a good fender amp for clean stuff.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

If you already have a nice fender, why not just use a pedal? The Boss super overdrive is unbelievable! I use it for jazz, blues and rock and it never fails. And it's one of the cheapest they do! :-)

Archived