Gibson Brands Forums

House of the Rising Sun

Kimbabig

Um, is summer over ??????? [confused] ..

Yeah it was awesome I went to Norway and base jumped off The Pulpit to Slayers song South of Heaven blaring over a PA system at about 150dB...take that religious tourist spot!

Edit: Nice Washburn its got a purdy flame top on it.

The Echoplex will sound very " lame " in today's world as we have great delay and echo pedals....At the time it cutting edge....

There are even plugins now that duplicate the Echoplex better than an actual Echoplex...............

Summer's not over ....... Kimbabig just can't quite leave [thumbup]

YES the Animals made that version popular,

NO they did NOT write it.

it is a public domain folk song written somewhere circa 1900-ish... I can't recall off hand if the writer is Anon or known.

Bob Dylan covered it way before the Animals.

Some musician's can't stand the Animals' version because they shifted it to 6/8 and changed up a few chords, but that's what's called "making it your own."

This is my cover done w/some friends: [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDCtu3OUkOY

(shameless promo - lol)

Pretty pics, Kimba :)

L

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

Nope it was The Animals you were right. Written in 1964

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmdPQp6Jcdk

Edit: Damn totally missed the media, I hate my office...thats a pretty epic fail.

Nope, kimbabig is correct, that rendition was the animals but they didn't write it and it was written long before 1964.

Yeah Layla I know all that, I'm just poking fun at the guy who thought it was a Doors song. and I really love your rendition of it.

also, summer hasn't TECHNICALLY begun yet. SHEESH I come here to give you guy an update I'm doing all right, but I get, omg go away Kimbabig, I'm trying to enjoy my summer.

Well, sheesh guys now I'm not posting my soundclips!

Yeah Layla I know all that, I'm just poking fun at the guy who thought it was a Doors song. and I really love your rendition of it.

also, summer hasn't TECHNICALLY begun yet. SHEESH I come here to give you guy an update I'm doing all right, but I get, omg go away Kimbabig, I'm trying to enjoy my summer.

Well, sheesh guys now I'm not posting my soundclips!

heheee heee!!!

no no no you misunderstand..... you made this big post about leaving, yet, you're not leaving....... LOL LOL we all love that you're here!!!

And that IS totally funny, how do you mix up the Animals with THE DOORS?!!! not even the same league sorry :)

I didn't go out to the YouTube to read the comments but I bet he's gotten slammed [tongue]

I came on here because I'm getting writer's block, and I'm bored, and I thought you'd all like an update from what I've been doing, and what fuzz pedal I'm going to buy soon. and the reason I tuned my guitar to open A and set it up for slide. and how well I'm doing at the Keys. [crying] [crying] [crying]

P.s I'm just kidding, I'm not upset at all, except for the writer's block. [sneaky] Das, my story is going slow, but it's progressing, just trying to figure out the plot!

Sorry I meant recorded.

The author is unknown, there is a lot of speculation of the songs original origin. Some believe its a broadside ballad from the 18th century brought to America by the settlers, and Alan Price of The Animals claimed the song was originally a 16th century English folk song about a Soho brothel and when it was taken to America the song was later adapted to its New Orleans setting. The oldest know recording of the song dates back to 1933 when Appalachian artists Clarence Ashley and Gwen Foster recorded a version.

Bob Dylan released his version in March of 1962

The Animals released there version in June of 1964

So it wasnt that far apart in reality.

Sorry I meant recorded.

The author is unknown, there is a lot of speculation of the songs original origin. Some believe its a broadside ballad from the 18th century brought to America by the settlers, and Alan Price of The Animals claimed the song was originally a 16th century English folk song about a Soho brothel and when it was taken to America the song was later adapted to its New Orleans setting. The oldest know recording of the song dates back to 1933 when Appalachian artists Clarence Ashley and Gwen Foster.

Bob Dylan released his version in March of 1962

The Animals released there version in June of 1964

So it wasnt that far apart in reality.

Didn't Leadbelly do a version even earlier?

Didn't Leadbelly do a version even earlier?

He did two actually but not earlier then the original recorded version, Leadbelly recorded one in February 1944 titled "In New Orleans" and one in October 1948 titled "The House of the Rising Sun" the latter was recorded in the sessions that later became the album "Lead Belly's Last Sessions"

Alger Alexander's "The Rising Sun" which was recorded in 1928 is sometimes mentioned as the first recording, but its actually a completely different song.

Edit: BTW the 1944 Leadbelly version is my personal fave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbCJtxEFlSA

He did two actually but not earlier then the original recorded version, Leadbelly recorded one in February 1944 titled "In New Orleans" and one in October 1948 titled "The House of the Rising Sun" the latter was recorded in the sessions that later became the album "Lead Belly's Last Sessions"

Alger Alexander's "The Rising Sun" which was recorded in 1928 is sometimes mentioned as the first recording, but its actually a completely different song.

Edit: BTW the 1944 Leadbelly version is my personal fave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbCJtxEFlSA

Made the hair stand up on my arm!

Dang.... I'd forgotten just how good his version is!

Nirvana LOVED Leadbelly :)

I LOVE Nirvana's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" and, it was about the last song Kurt Cobain ever recorded. :( And I *think* (correct me) last publicly performed song.

He died just months after the NYC MTV Unplugged concert, and this song closed the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hGBYey28CQ

sigh............................................

this song is also called "In The Pines" and is also........... really REALLY old. With who knows how many verse variations.

The ORIGINAL version of the song was written in ancient Egypt.....

The first line was " There is, a pyramid, in old Memphis, "

The song title was " House of the Rising Ra "...............Just sayin'

Archived