Gibson Brands Forums

musicians network

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

I'm going to be developing a Musicians network. It will be a kind of MySpace meets Facebook meets bandmix.

My question is this, If you could join a social network, for musicians, what features would you have if anything was possible?

Honestly I would take a look at APRA in Australia and see how their site works. Its a very cool site crap to navigate but the info is worth stealing :P Id go to local stores and ask if they want to advertise on your site start making money off of it.

I'm going to be developing a Musicians network. It will be a kind of MySpace meets Facebook meets bandmix.

My question is this, If you could join a social network, for musicians, what features would you have if anything was possible?

Virtual "Jam rooms" would be cool. So if you want to jam with somebody(s) "live" you could. Would have to work around latency but do-able..... You could even start "Virtual bands" To be able to rehearse on-line would be really cool and something I have been thinking about for a while. I am in the streaming audio/video field so I am always thinking about this kinda stuff. Hope you get something going.[thumbup]

Obviously video or audio chat would be cool too...

Virtual "Jam rooms" would be cool. So if you want to jam with somebody(s) "live" you could. Would have to work around latency but do-able..... You could even start "Virtual bands" To be able to rehearse on-line would be really cool and something I have been thinking about for a while. I am in the streaming audio/video field so I am always thinking about this kinda stuff. Hope you get something going.[thumbup]

Those are really neat ideas Andy, kind of like a skype conference call jam session.

Those are really neat ideas Andy, kind of like a skype conference call jam session.

Yep pretty much.... I am going to Switzerland for 2 months this fall and have been thinking about setting up Video conferencing to my practice space so we don't lose 2 months of practice. Was also thinking about sending midi triggers through the internet so a drummer playing a set of V drums could trigger a a drum module in the rehearsal room. Just ways for people to get together that have limited time.... or are geographically disabled....

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

A section for hobbyists would be nice.

Interesting, could you elaborate on this?

Honestly I would take a look at APRA in Australia and see how their site works. Its a very cool site crap to navigate but the info is worth stealing :P Id go to local stores and ask if they want to advertise on your site start making money off of it.

Will do, my intention is to monetize the project in the future with several revenue streams but to keep it free for users, advertising is number 1.

Social Network of musicians? For what?

The only place i see musicians get along are on guitar forums, anywhere else and were insulting each others music and guitars.

Well it's funny, I'm not that surprised that you encounter a lot of "not getting on". Sometimes you reap what you sow, a lot of people get a lot out of internet social infrastructure. This model has worked for me in the past.

Nice Andy, video and audio chat where already on the map but I like this. Latency and bandwidth are issues, perhaps a limited number of users or prebooked sessions. I'll give it some thought.

Archived