Gibson Brands Forums

Epi EA 250--Opinions?

musicmaker99

The "drill holes" in the back deter me but the seller has dropped the price in $25 increments going from $250 to $175

It'd be best to see it in person of course, but as far as price, seeing as it's dropped so far, I'd offer $130 and settle for $150.

I'm not an expert, but when these have come up for discussion here in the past, the general consensus among the resident historians is that EA-250 were low-quality guitars with neck block issues. If I remember, the the neck block glue gives out and the string tension pulls the block away from the body. Some can be repaired and some can't, so take a flashlight and a dental mirror along if you decide to have a look see.

$150 sounds about right if the neck joint is solid, maybe less if it has other issues. The drill holes are a major negative...

If you really want an EA250 the price of the one you're looking at is much closer to what they're worth than some of the inflated prices I've seen sellers asking, but a lot of it doesn't look original. From my own point of view, if I had to list the worst guitars I've ever owned the EA 250 would be in the top 3. The sound was OK (actually ho-hum hence the Di Marzio in the bridge position on mine) but this was a guitar that just would not stay in tune. I think Jerry Mac summed it up best when he wrote, if the early 80's Epiphones were BMW's the EA250 would be a Yugo. Here's the pic of it anyway.

EA250.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words ....

stinky-face1.jpg

LOL....love it, guys!

The seller called me and admitted this is a project guitar....no tremelo and there is some separation of the neck that at the very least would need to be shimmed. The holes were filled in "but not very well".

At any rate, I'm trying to thin the herd and would have only bought this if it was a diamond in the rough. From what I gleaned on the web some people really liked 'em and others....well, see pic above.

Think I'll pass....Thanks everybody.

Archived