Gibson Brands Forums

Orange Caps and CTS pots in L.P. Trad. Pro

bonzoboy

I absolutely love the sound of my Epi Les Paul Traditional pro but the only issue I have is the sudden cut-off of bass at around 2.5 in the tone pots,there's no gradual tapering just a sudden jump from bass to treble.I have a feeling that CTS 500 K tone pots would rememdy this but since I already love the tone as is would a set of orange caps change the tone enough to impair the lovely tone I have or should I just change the tone pots?

That's the route I was most likely going to go as the old addage goes about: if it ain't broke....Although orange caps can vastly improve tone in many cases I'm half afraid to mess with a good thing.Thanks for reinforcing my decision.

That's an idea too does anybody know the ohmage value of orange caps or would I have to go by the value on the existing caps?

LOL Ohms are for resistors. Capacitors are measured in Farads. The usual value of cap for humbuckers is 0.022 uf. single coils normally 0.047 uf. but really you can use any capacitance you like, 0.033 uf is another popular choice. your guitar will have 0.022 uf caps as stock, i say buy the same value of orange drop and see if they sound nicer than the stock ones.

One thing to watch out for when purchasing pots is the "Taper" Audio taper marked on the back (A 500k) or linear taper marked (B 500k). the Taper will determine whether your tone rolls of gradually or whether the tone dives 3/4 of the way round.

Thanks Bigneil,so a linear taper would be the better choice I take it.Where the Trad. Pro has coil tap so it's effectively both single coil and humbucker I should get caps of the same value of the ones that are in her already?

Thanks Bigneil,so a linear taper would be the better choice I take it.Where the Trad. Pro has coil tap so it's effectively both single coil and humbucker I should get caps of the same value of the ones that are in her already?

I have found that the correct taper to use tends to depend on which wiring style you are going to use. I'll have a look and see what i used in some of my geets later on. I honestly cant remember off the top of my head which set up woked best for the 50's wiring i have become fond of.

I'm a fan of linears, but seem to be in the minority on that. Just don't like the big jump from 7-10 on the audio tapers.

Recently rewired my alleykat, though, after I had already replaced the pots and caps. Getting rid of that junky mystery wire that was in there was the most noticeable mod I've done to that guitar. I was very surprised by the difference some copper wire can have.

EG

Archived