Gibson Brands Forums

! QUIZ !

E-minor7

Well, she's a square-shoulder dread, and judging from that teensy-weensie corner of pickguard, she's either a 'Bird natural or an SJN. The only visual difference that might come into play here is the body binding, and the resolution isn't quite clear enough to get that detail, but it looks a bit fancier than an SJN. I'm going with Hummingbird.

Don't ask me what year, as there are plenty of options there, from '63 on.

OF course, maybe the photo angle is misleading.

The photo angle is in no way misleading j45nick – But not too much can be givin' away with a sharp edge like yourself around. In fact you are the reason this innocent QUIZ was forced into the esoteric –

Okay I admit it, , , it's a rather thrilling place for E-minor7 to be. . . .

Time to reveal the origin of the 'Celtic Triangularis 6-string'.

It is, ladies and gentlemen : EuroAussies 1969 Country & Western.

Thanks to all participants in this E-minor7's 6 in a line Quiz. We had our ups and downs – especially #5 leaned towards the down right surrealistic - but managed to get through. The extraordinary sharp minds of the Forum-members made it almost impossible not to glide into what J45nick called the esoteric. And why not take it all the way. Speaking of Nick, it must be said that he stands as the unthreaten champ. However there are no winners or losers in this dreamworld-game and the reward therefore goes out to you all – A stunningly beautiful picture of, , , can anybody tell, , , ?

First60sbeauty.jpg

Here we go. . . EuroAussiesGibsonsMarts11-15.jpgThanks for the loan EuroA - Hope you and the guitar could bear it. . . .

This raises an interesting question, which I'm sure has been dealt with before. What, exactly, are the differences between the 'Bird natural, the square SJN, and the C&W?

The details on the 'Bird pickguard and some of the bling are obvious, but what else other than pure cosmetics?

Here we go. . . EuroAussiesGibsonsMarts11-15.jpgThanks for the loan EuroA - Hope you and the guitar could bear it. . . .

Is that a 'brace' I see in the sound hole? It appears, unless my eyes are deceiving me :blink: , to be a bracket bracing the neck block against the back. I've never seen one like that.

This raises an interesting question, which I'm sure has been dealt with before. What, exactly, are the differences between the 'Bird natural, the square SJN, and the C&W?

The details on the 'Bird pickguard and some of the bling are obvious, but what else other than pure cosmetics?

They are close-bonded siblings. Maybe some extreme expert would tell us that the woods were picked from different qualities back then, but I doubt it.

And then there are crossovers, , , , like my 1968 Custom SJ with both the plain p-guard and the tulips. The common SJ had white buttons like the C&W. The man I got mine from, had it via an American connection who got from an older woman who had lost her husband and kept the guitar for some time after. It should be all original. . .

MySJ682.jpg

Btw. when we are talking the square shouldered trio, we mustn't forget the sq. sh. J-45. The forth leg of the chair so to speak. Of course without the split-parallelograms and with plain teardrop guard. Believe they were started in '68 – '69.

They are close-bonded siblings. Maybe some extreme expert would tell us that the woods were picked from different qualities back then, but I doubt it.

And then there are crossovers, , , , like my 1968 Custom SJ with both the plain p-guard and the tulips. The common SJ had white buttons like the C&W. The man I got mine from, had it via an American connection who got from an older woman who had lost her husband and kept the guitar for some time after. It should be all original. . .

Btw. when we are talking the square shouldered trio, we mustn't forget the sq. sh. J-45. The forth leg of the chair so to speak. Of course without the split-parallelograms and with plain teardrop guard. Believe they were started in '68 – '69.

I ignore the square-shoulder J-45 as an oxymoron, like "military intelligence". Why screw up a good thing like that? Weren't there enough dreads out there? Not taking anything away from square Gibson dreads, but a square J-45? It just ain't right!

I ignore the square-shoulder J-45 as an oxymoron, like "military intelligence". Why screw up a good thing like that? Weren't there enough dreads out there? Not taking anything away from square Gibson dreads, but a square J-45? It just ain't right!

Tend to agree – especially in the light of the fact they existed already. Still the model was continued for over a decade. My first 2 Gibsons were late '70s J-45/J-50 DeLuxe or something.

As I remember it, the slope-shape was utterly outdated in the 1970ties.

Archived