Gibson Brands Forums

Full "11" tone at low volume

Shaker

I am a hobbyist and I play at home. But, I really like the sound of an LP/SG played through a Marshall amp, as heard on many songs recorded in the late 60's and early 70's. Realistically, I will not be able get a full/half stack and turn up all the way up. I need to make 10 much quieter, not louder.

Most of the time, I play through headphones hooked up to an amp modeler gizmo. I would like to know others may be doing to get that big sound at a low volume. Headphones are good but I don't feel the sound in my stomach.

Some of the options that I can think of are

* A digital modeling amp (Line 6 POD, V Amp, etc)

* An analog simulator pedal (Sans Amp,etc)

* A very low wattage tube amp

* A tube amp with an attenuator

Any suggestions/advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

I am a hobbyist and I play at home. But' date=' I really like the sound of an LP/SG played through a Marshall amp, as heard on many songs recorded in the late 60's and early 70's. Realistically, I will not be able get a full/half stack and turn up all the way up. I need to make 10 much quieter, not louder.

Most of the time, I play through headphones hooked up to an amp modeler gizmo. I would like to know others may be doing to get that big sound at a low volume. Headphones are good but I don't feel the sound in my stomach.

Some of the options that I can think of are

* A digital modeling amp (Line 6 POD, V Amp, etc)

* An analog simulator pedal (Sans Amp,etc)

* A very low wattage tube amp

* A tube amp with an attenuator

Any suggestions/advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

[/quote']

I personally don't think you can get the cranked sound without it actually being cranked.I've tried many things myself do get this and all fail.I usually just put my marshall thru a boss 0d-3 and sacrifice tone .I also have different modeling gizmos and amps,but none really get the genuine tone as a cranked amp gets.With todays technology,they definatley come closer than the past,but still no way of imitating cranked tone .Just got to crank it it.Nothing like a cranked marshall.Nothing period.

There is no substitute for the real thing dude.

I have been down the modeling road - you can FORGET about the pod and other line6 crap.

Buy a small tube amp. I recommend an Epiphone Valve Junior and...

it is THAT GOOD.

Basically you can ship your valve junior to randy bemis at bemis amplification, for him to rebuild: email him at randy@bemisamps.com or call 619-248-2362.

Call and ask him to describe his mods for a VJ, or in particular ask for the "Custom 7” if you want one like mine. He basically rips the Valve Junior apart and rebuilds it with better components and does some other stuff - whatever hocus-pocus he did on it worked.

If you send him the amp, he will probably only charge you for his mods, as he doesn't need to find a "donor amp" himself.

He will transform your VJ into a blues / rock tone machine - and no dist/overdrive pedals needed and it could be within your budget.

Here's a review:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Bemis+Amps/Valve+Jr.+Custom+7/100/1

Dude! How can you argue with getting a custom made tube amp in this price range? about $400.

PS...IMHO you can forget about solid state if you are after the best possible tone - that should narrow your shopping list down a bit!

If you want to try a cheap fix buy one of these: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

and use it like an effects pedal. the distortion comes from the preamp and you can use the volume control on the main amp to keep the volume at a reasonable level. Real tube distortion for cheap. Even if it doesn't work as well as you'd like, you're only out $30.

Archived