Gibson Brands Forums

Can't find the amp of my dreams

Nic LP

I'll chime in with Peavey's. I use a Delta Blues but the Classic 30 or 6150s are great. Sometimes the cabs need a little tweaking. I prefer a sealed cab but even on my open ones I'll staple old, clean, towels in there to change the reflection inside the cab. This often tames a too bright, or pingy, sound and is a great way to experiment with the reflective nuances of a speaker. My main is the Delta Blues but I added a seperate jack so I could put a Peavey 15" in an old GK bass cab. Lined in some toweling and sealed it up. Over driving the Peavey gives me great sustain even without a compressor in front.

If you are intent to go solid state I have heard a few good players get nice results from some of the Line6 combos. You're on a great quest so have fun with it..

Reilly81

Hi Nitefly,

I have a fender 65 deluxe reissue, it is a very clean, sweet sounding amp, till you turn it past #6 you get some distortion. With my les paul standard, I get some Mike Bloomfield, & some Allman brothers tones. Not a real heavy distortion. But a nice cranked up sound. But it's still pretty loud. As loud as my marshall jcm 800 50 watt on about #4.

If ya want a Marshall jcm 800, look for a early 80's amp with the vertical inputs. Expect to pay around a grand alone for a head. A used fender deluxe around $600.00 to $650.00 used , $900.00 new

Hi Nitefly,

I have a fender 65 deluxe reissue, it is a very clean, sweet sounding amp, till you turn it past #6 you get some distortion. With my les paul standard, I get some Mike Bloomfield, & some Allman brothers tones. Not a real heavy distortion. But a nice cranked up sound. But it's still pretty loud. As loud as my marshall jcm 800 50 watt on about #4.

If ya want a Marshall jcm 800, look for a early 80's amp with the vertical inputs. Expect to pay around a grand alone for a head. A used fender deluxe around $600.00 to $650.00 used , $900.00 new

Hi TC Rocker, hi all,

Many thanks all for the feedback. I am going to take my time in finding the right one for me and all these responses are very helpful. Great people in this forum! Will get out there soon to test drive a few and post back in due course.

Happy grooving all! [biggrin]

Archived