Gibson Brands Forums

Breaking a lot of strings on Lucille??

TxStrat

Anyone else having trouble breaking a lot of high E strings on Lucille.....and what did you do about it?

Are they breaking in the same place each time, i.e. bridge/nut/tuner etc ??? What guage strings are you using ???

Are they breaking in the same place each time, i.e. bridge/nut/tuner etc ??? What guage strings are you using ???

Yes, right on the saddle. I have been using the DR Pure Blues on most all of my other Electric Guitars and I hardly ever break strings. I am breaking 2 a week on Lucille. Do they make graphite saddles for the tune-o-matic bridge. I use them on my Strats and my Tele..

Do they make graphite saddles for the tune-o-matic bridge. I use them on my Strats and my Tele..

I'm pretty sure they do. You can also work a wound D string over and around the groove a bit to try and smooth any burrs or sharp points. A roller bridge will be cheaper than the graphite saddles too, I'd prefer one of them.

EDIT: the above method is virtually using the D string as a makeshift file of sorts, be careful not to make the groove wider or deeper, you essentially just want to break any sharp edges or burrs.

Anyone else having trouble breaking a lot of high E strings on Lucille.....and what did you do about it?

If you're using D'Addario strings, I had this same problem a while ago and apparently it was a bad batch of strings.

I contacted D'A about the problem and after giving them the lot number from the packaging they sent me a dozen new E strings as replacements.

HTH

If you're using D'Addario strings, I had this same problem a while ago and apparently it was a bad batch of strings.

I contacted D'A about the problem and after giving them the lot number from the packaging they sent me a dozen new E strings as replacements.

HTH

I am using the DR Pure Blues strings, but I might contact them anyway and see what they say....

I am lusting after your 339 in Pelham Blue. That is the first purchase I am going to make as soon as I win the lottery.

Archived