Gibson Brands Forums

Late 70's maple neck standards.....

vexorgtr

I own a '79 maple neck LP Standard... I know for a few years the Maple neck was fitted OEM on the standard LP. What years were these? I've also seen a 78' with one too.

Despite people liking to dump on the 70's guitars, this one is quite nice. The serial puts it in January of 79... and the pickups are stamped with a Dec 78' date... makes sense. This critter should be all original. I'm the second owner, and the gent I got it from never modded it.

Altough many dislike Norlins, I really wish I could put my hands on one. As far as maple is concerned, I personally think it's much more reliable for necks than mahogany. A guitar with maple-neck stays better in tune, and the neck is much more resistant to changes of the environmental conditions, than mahogany. I think - but I am not an expert - maple was used for necks on all Les Pauls since it's reissue in 1968, until the 80s(?).

I think the LP standard went through about a 3 year run where Maple was the norm... 78-80 is what I think... can't verify it, and nobody will answer me straight.

My veteran Gibson dealer did tell a few stories about those years. Mahogany necks were the norm on LP's for a long darn while, and the headstocks were at an angle of 17 degrees I believe... If you set one down on the floor, the headstock will hold the body off the ground. This was a problem when drunken rock and rollers would drop their guitars off the stands, and SNAP.. another dead headstock... Norlin's ideas were to Volute the neck for stregnth, and reduce the headstock angle... this helped with the headstock breakage... Then problems sourcing good quality mahogany led them to start with maple necks, and the extra wide heastocks... it made for a strong neck, but by this time, the guitar was critiqued for "Not sounding like a LP" anymore.... Thus, it was eventually retured to the earlier woods and headstock angles.

That's the best story I could build based on the availible sources who have played and worked with Gibsons way longer than I have... I don't think the 70's maple necks are bad guitars, in fact, the one I own has nothing to not recommend it.. It sounds good, plays great.. it's heavy, but what LP isn't to a degree.

Although many people like to call the Norlin guitars stinkers, I think in some ways, Norlins design changes were an honest attempt to address durability problems with the guitars... I honestly think he was trying to solve the headstock/neck issues with a practical solution... that had some unfortunate drawbacks.

Musicians hate change anyway... I have many fun stories from the guitar shop, talking with veteran musicians/dealers about the industry..

• 3 weeks later...

you know looking closely at that I picture, I think I have to correct myself, sadly I no longer own this guitar but I thinks this neck is mahogany

I think the guy was right who said this was predominantly a maple neck period. I really don't know if you can tell by looking that it's mahogany instead of maple.

I do know that my 76 standard has its neck made of 3 pieces of rock solid maple. I would absolutely buy another one.

As far as I know: yes. They are 3-piece, with different woodgrain directions to be real strong. But, I have to say that I neither own guitars from that period (unfortunately), nor I am an expert. To confuse You guys further, check out the specs of the "Randy Rhoads" signature, which is supposed to be a '74 LP Custom "reissue": http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Randy-Rhoads-Les-Paul-Custom/Specs.aspx

I don't kow if you guys are at all familiar with Mike Ness, but for those who aren't initiated he's the guitarist from Social Distortion- if you want to hear some KILLER, KILLER tone check out their newest album "Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes". He plays 70's LP Deluxes exclusively (with Seymour Duncan Custom P90s) and he's a big proponent of the Maple neck. He's said in interviews that he's tried some historics and other re-issues and he can't seem to squeeze the sound out of them he's looking for, which he credits the Maple necks.

I've always wanted to get my hands on one to try it out and see what's what for myself. But this guy (Mr. Ness) wrangles some awesome sounds from those old Norlin-a$$ Pancake bodied "clunkers" (as so many snobs have referred to them as).

I have a 77 Standard cherryburst with a gorgeous 3 pc maple neck, one pc mahagony back and one pc maple top. I have it set up with coil taps on my HB and I can say that the tones I am able to get with it are amazing, the combo of the the single coil and the maple adds a brightness that is for sure not available on most LP's. Absolutely Love it! If you can get your hands on one I would highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Fer

Archived